Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Why do we keep bringing Potter up?

It's going to gross more than any of the Potter movies.

Even when you adjust for inflation, this statement is true. This should be the final word on the subject....but I know it won't be.

• Like 1

I looked at total tickets sold. I didn't actually "adjust" to 2015. 

And anyways, the movie Noctis is really comparing this to (the last Harry Potter) was released in 2011-after the date range you put forth.

It's all speculation anyways. We have no idea how a movie would have done if it was even moved by a weekend. Would Age of Ultron opened higher had it switched places with Furious 7? That's speculation. Move it to a whole other year and who knows?

Sure you can point to IMAX and 3D but it's important to note why these have become more important: theater attendance in general has been falling and those measures have helped recoup some of the lost money. That and inflation.

BOM's "total tickets sold" is just dividing the nominal gross of the film by the quarterly price for that year.  It's the same methodology, if you take the "total tickets sold" figure and multiply it any yearly price they provide, it yields the adjusted figure for that film within that year.  Like I said in the initial post, I looked at the specific 3D/IMAX splits of each film (I've done a lot of digging/research over the years to find these precise splits as well as format-specific prices) so each film is calculated individually.  DH2 falling in the post-Avatar era means that BOM's figures are incorrect, and the way to account for that is by looking at these individual film's splits, so I'm not sure why you brought that up.

Your last few points are fine, but that doesn't mean we can't be aware of and try to calculate the most precise estimates of the attendance to the best of our abilities.

Hey what happened to that guy that used to give us L.A. chain numbers on weekends? I think his name was notfabio?

Posted at HSX. Not sure if he is still around. You would think someone here would have picked up on it if he did. He was usually pretty helpful with giving us a general idea on midnight numbers.

• Like 1

Hey what happened to that guy that used to give us L.A. chain numbers on weekends? I think his name was notfabio?

He got promoted and doesn't have numbers access on a tickets sold level anymore (or not as quickly)

• Like 3

A new record! The numbers un pesos should be massive. Although jt looks Sat/Sun grossed less than Thu/Fri, it'll be interesting to see how it holds. Admissions should be on the 8M vicinity.

In only one weekend, Mexico became the 5th OS market.

WWW was Early Reviews wounded it and the Mayweather Fight murdered it.. The End..

Avengers should have hugged Mayweather more. Would have been able to withstand his blows.

Someone tried but quickly got shut down because however disappointing in light of hype/expectations, this is still the second biggest OW of all time.

this still isn't that this is like them saying that this debuted at like 150 million or something like that

Well still is the 2nd biggest OW adjusted. (3d sales are not as big as they were a few years ago)
Most sequels tend to drop-until recent years though.

Either way its a not a bad gross. People just set everything high it seems! (Though TA3 could break the OW, I would say Episode 7 but the fact it is in December is iffy)

So what will be it's 2nd weekend? I will say somewhere in the 80M area right now.

If Fantastic Beast becomes successful Potter will be king again.

Harry Potter Films (8 Films)- $7,723,431,572

Marvel Cinematic Universe (11 Films)- $7,786,848,712

By that time AOU will have ended its run+Ant-Man, Civil War and Strange. Beasts will have to do 4B+

I think this may be the first time in recent years Disney failed to manage expectations, they allowed the 230M opening (or even higher) on the cards articles and on Friday morning said they were confident of a new OW record and then said 210M on Saturday morning. 

• Like 2