Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

next time you say a movie doesn't "deserve" to gross x amount of money just remember #MayweatherPacquiao made $300-400m

Lol, so true. Mayweather's going to make 200M+ while Pacquiao 120M+ for essentially 36 mins of dancing.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I will say, I hope the 2020's provides us with more diversity in terms movie hits. Disney owns the 3 highest openers, and theyre all frigging Iron Man movies. 6 of the top 10 is CBM's. Everything else is a dang book. I hope the romantic comedies, or PG-13 comedies, or 2D animation, or westerns, penguin movies, or SOMETHING makes a comeback in a big way, because thisll be getting zzz worthy after all.

Furious 7...............

And tbh, Star Wars Episode 8 will probably increase in OW just because of release date

I will say, I hope the 2020's provides us with more diversity in terms movie hits. Disney owns the 3 highest openers, and theyre all frigging Iron Man movies. 6 of the top 10 is CBM's. Everything else is a dang book. I hope the romantic comedies, or PG-13 comedies, or 2D animation, or westerns, penguin movies, or SOMETHING makes a comeback in a big way, because thisll be getting zzz worthy after all.

Video game movies may be the next big thing if Warcraft and Assassin's Creed hit it big, the release dates are doing both movies no favors currently. 

The problem with rom-coms, PG-13 comedies, 2D animation, westerns and most of the genres you have listed is that there is very very limited OS appeal, and there is no star who can carry those movies to a huge international gross anymore. If the OS market was as big as it is now back in the 90s, those genres would have become the main output from studios as they were mainly star driven vehicles rather than IP driven.

Edited by grim22

Is it sad that until yesterday, I didn't even know who Mayweather was supposed to fight.

No, most who follow movies as close as we do could not care less about a boxing match. But we select few are not who push a film like AOU over 200m...we need well...everyone else to do that.  ;)

I'm happy about the Sun market correction and all, but we're gonna be in for a nasty Monday drop now, aren't we? :lol:

But this is fun, I miss this. Hopefully I have more time this week to hang out around the forum and enjoy the sure to be a rollercoaster ride.

No, most who follow movies as close as we do could not care less about a boxing match. But we select few are not who push a film like AOU over 200m...we need well...everyone else to do that.  ;)

Yes, millions of other people's money does help in the long run :D

• Like 1

Video game movies may be the next big thing if Warcraft and Assassin's Creed hit it big, the release dates are doing both movies no favors currently. 

I feel like people say this before every video game movie  :P

(Well, not EVERY one, but the ones studios pour money into)

Hello. 1st time poster here.

Couple of things.

1. I don't understand why everyone just assumed Avengers 2 *had* to beat the opening weekend record. Why? If you guys remember, in 2012, no one really expected Avengers to beat the record that year...and even when it did, all anyone could talk about was "yeah but in 2 months when Dark Knight Rises comes out it'll easily take it back". And it fell short. I learned from then that banking on opening weekend records is always tricky. Everyone thought the biggest movie that year would be Dark Knight Rises - you can't just assume things like that in my opinion.

2. As much as it irks me that everyone just assumed Avengers 2 would beat opening weekend record - why is everyone similarly so sure it has fallen short? Thursday night beat Avenger's 1 thursday haul. Friday beats friday. Pre-sale tickets beat pre-sale tickets of Avangers 1. In every aspect, Avengers 2 is ahead. It did fall significantly on Saturday, but why can't it rebound on Sunday? The Boxing match was ah huge draw apparently - whose to say sunday business doesn't pick up as a counter?

Just food for thought. I still think there's a chance for opening weekend record

The Dark knight Rises had the shooting happen, that affected the box office. 

Out of all the upcoming movies, I can see Batman V Superman getting pretty close. If WB has another marketing campaign as good as the Dark Knight, it could very well top it. It's Batman and Superman in the same movie and from all the positive reactions, people have been waiting for and are ready for another Batman.  

Star Wars 7 OW>Batman v Superman OW. Even with the December opening

I feel like people say this before every video game movie  :P

(Well, not EVERY one, but the ones studios pour money into)

MAY 28

prince-of-persia-jake-gyllenhaal-19-2-10

Never forget.

• Like 5