antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

I'm just glad that this is finally coming out soon.  I just hope the Regals near me update with Thursday previews.  They aren't even showing times for Friday so I guess they are still lining up the films.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

The fact I don't get is why they (Paramount) are not trying at least make some effort and save an incoming bomb.

I assume a number of reasons:

- they're unsure of what the overall reaction will be

- it's the previous regime's movie

- they're trying to minimize loss instead of swinging for the fences

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TombRaider said:

why did natalie promote this weeks ago at SNL? shouldnt she have promoted it either last ssturday or the next one?

Olympics schedule and no SNL episode between February 3, 2018 (Portman episode) and March 3, 2018 (after the release) ?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

I imagine those, a small 35-40m domestic release is still a giant investment, for a movie that was monetized already with is market sold and do not need to save face for anyone it is easy to not take that risk.

For the embargo date, I wonder if it could not be a Netflix request to the buy, the close the press is to the Netflix release the more it can feel like an Netflix exclusive/really fast release instead on an usual movie that end up on Netflix after it's normal release.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Telehilation said:

The path of least resistance, in other words.

The only real sore thumb here is the review embargo which goes above and beyond path of least resistance, as that's an active, deliberate, choice.

This just looks to be, perhaps, one of those cases where the execs misread things when it came to the quality of their own film.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

This will be another unfortunate bomb associated with a brilliant screenwriter/director. It arrives at a bad time. A time where the MCU is hitting all the right buttons at the right time. C'est la vie.

No one bats  100% and gets a hit every time he goes to bat.

Even the best directors/writers mess up occasionally.

There are only two kinds of directors in the film industry:Those who have made a disappointing or bad film somewhere along the line, and those who will make one.

A fact which a lot of people here have problems accepting.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The "No reviews until it opens" is troubeling, it normally is not a good sign.

Tell that to Bethesda. Garland has a very extensive record of producing quality material. The lack of promotion might be due to the fact that the distributor knows it will be buried by the MCU giants. Risk vs. Reward.

• Like 1