kayumanggi

THE CIRCLE | 04.28.17 | STX | current gross ● 11.70 M

12 minutes ago, Firepower said:

We don't know if they are positive yet. Let's wait for their RT/metacritic scores.

They're positive, clearly not negative. Don't worry there will be plenty of negative and mixed reviews. It probably won't be fresh on RT.  I like Ponsoldt's work but he isn't for everyone.

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

We don't know if they are positive yet. Let's wait for their RT/metacritic scores.

Lemme get this straight; you think RT or Metacritic give a better idea of what a critic thought of a movie than a critic's own words?

• Like 3

65/100 opening on MetaCritic, it's solid but too early to say

About the same as GotG2.

If The Circle doesn't even suck you have to wonder why this movie isn't getting more hype, given the star power.

Edited by MrGlass2

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

If it doesn't even suck you have to wonder why this movie isn't getting more hype, given the star power.

Blame STX. They do good marketing....... when they want to. Bad Moms, The Boy, and The Bye Bye Man were all hits with good OWs outfront (The Gift built off great WOM), but they let Edge of Seventeen die to Fantastic Beasts and have no confidence in The Circle. At worst, critics are saying it's just an average thriller, so I have no idea what the hell they were scared about; this didn't need to be Citizen Kane to open well. They turned a 15-20M OW into a potentially sub-10M one.

• Like 5

STX seem to be spending at least 20M on this domestic release, I'm not so sure it was being scare and not taking a chance on the movie, it is just bad execution, no ?

Did Watson push the movie on her social media platform and Hanks on TV ?

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

STX seem to be spending at least 20M on this domestic release, I'm not so sure it was being scare and not taking a chance on the movie, it is just bad execution, no ?

The lack of promotion from it stars was actually really suprising for me.Watson went as far as retweeting the first trailer once and then nothing until now that she attended the premiere.I guess being so close to the world promotion of BaTB held Watson back.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Watson's been pushing it but Hanks hasn't been on Twitter since the beginning of the month. Patton Oswalt was on Fallon the other night, but otherwise there's been no talk show push.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

The lack of promotion from it stars was actually really suprising for me.Watson went as far as retweeting the first trailer once and then nothing until now that she attended the premiere.I guess being so close to the world promotion of BaTB held Watson back.

I think that is more it the stars not having good participation bonus in that pre-sales of the movie models or them not liking the movie and didn't want to burn themselve with the audience promoting it.

Huh.....given the dumping date and troubled production, these reviews are better than I thought. Or at bare minimum make it seem more interesting. I might actually check it out if I have time. I do like the director.

Also, FWIW watching Fargo and NBA games, this is actually getting a good push on TV.