kayumanggi

THE CIRCLE | 04.28.17 | STX | current gross ● 11.70 M

4 hours ago, trifle said:

I can't straighten it out, I'm afraid. The way the information was written it almost looked like the film was made for $18M and sold complete at $8M, but that doesn't make much sense.

Sold for 8m probably means certain territories.

And if you're asking if it's profitable...the real question is...profitable for whom?  There's lots of players in this type of thing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, trifle said:

I can't straighten it out, I'm afraid. The way the information was written it almost looked like the film was made for $18M and sold complete at $8M, but that doesn't make much sense.

8m is Only Canada + US market, I would imagine they had deal like that all over the world, movie star like Hank really help to achieve to sell your movie a bit everywhere.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

8m is Only Canada + US market, I would imagine they had deal like that all over the world, movie star like Hank really help to achieve to sell your movie a bit everywhere.

Whoever made the movie has probably made a profit already given how they're selling it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SaraM said:

https://twitter.com/BrendoWeissman/status/857445369336258560

The twitter reviews are pretty bad and the embargo hasn't lifted yet

I clicked on the circle hashtag, lot of message with that hashtag are promoting Trump.... ?

Are they robot/AI message simply using popular hashtag in a automatic way ? Or there is a link between the movie story and Trump ?

Clicking on some of those profile, they match exactly the description they made from the typical automatic robot account pushing message.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I clicked on the circle hashtag, lot of message with that hashtag are promoting Trump.... ?

Are they robot/AI message simply using popular hashtag in a automatic way ? Or there is a link the movie story and Trump ?

Clicking on some of those profile, they match exactly the description they made from the typical automatic robot account pushing message.

some elements of the alt right use bots to trash people on twitter.  they do it against Jen, and I suspect they would do it here because of Emma Watson. Neither like Trump.

Edited by trifle

I saw it tonight too.

My girlfriend loved it way more than I did (but she's very sympathetic to the movie's messages and ADORES Emma Watson) but it's not horrible. It's a reasonably enjoyable watch with a kick-ass Danny Elfman score, but it's another movie where the ideas it has are far more interesting than what the movie itself has to offer. Ellar Coltrane and John Boyega get nothing fun to do besides explicitly state the movie's messages, and the story is a convoluted and hyperbolic mess at times.

That being said, I'd be lying if I said it didn't make for fun conversations afterwards about modern technology, and my GF loving it means there's some value in that, even if I wasn't as positive. :) 

• Like 3

It's really hard to say if THR or Variety reviews are positive because they just describe movie's plot and don't write their opinion about the movie itself, I wouldn't say their "reviews" are acutally reviews. Let's see what it looks like when it hits RT.