Dementeleus

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

it should have been more batshit and less hollywood. the score was utterly abysmal, for instance. how about some zorn-style free jazz grindcore in the background? well, i can dream...

how do you think of it when compared to previous MM films?

It's rare that a movie is perfect for me. I may find flaws with them, but the flaws are more jokes about the movies than anything that's actually bothersome. Mad Max: Fury Road is a perfect movie. The editing, the acting, the action, the worldbuilding... everything just works splendidly. Calling out members of the cast and crew would be a waste because everyone deserves recognition for making the best film experience of 2015. Well, with the exception of George Miller, whose passion for this project shows in a simply beautiful way. This was my fifth watch (first one on a TV rather than a film screen), and I'm still noticing new details and enjoying it more than previous times. Mad Max: Fury Road is, for lack of any better term, a masterpiece. A+

B

It's a good movie which has been uniquely and beautifully shot with dazzling visuals. The movie got a bit long for me and it sags periodically. The thrill and tension of the chase started ebbing well before the end. Individually a lot of the parts of the movie including those towards the end are lovely though stitched together they are less so.

Edited by a2knet

On 16/11/2015 at 3:21 AM, JohnnyGossamer said:

Watched this again yesterday on BluRay. Ugh... Really wish this one would click with me like it seems to with just about everyone else here. I liked it less this go 'round. Still some unreal photography, costumes, stunts and mayhem. B/B-.

Well at least there's one person who won't hate me when I post this review!

I share your thoughts, I just didn't get much out of it. I wanted to like it. I recognised beauty in the images and complexity in the set pieces -- but none of that made me actually care about what was happening on the screen.

I usually only review old crappy movies on the Popcorn Lobotomy channel, but this one annoyed me so much I had to do it. It hasn't made me popular, hehe. Here's the review for those interested:

Black & Chrome. 

I suppose should elaborate a little. 

The contrast shows up best in the daylight shots of the desert. When it's dark or in the storm it works better with colour. The sped up nature of some of the shots gives the movie a kind of newsreel feel. 

It probably would look a bit gimmicky but I wonder how it would look if colour was added to a few spots. Like the red of the guitarist.  

Definitely worth checking out if you get the chance. 

I wonder if it will crack the top 20 this weekend in Australia. 

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1