Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

will the legs go off a cliff, or will this be a force for a few weeks?

Remember Magic Mike? 2.89X, something like that.

The movie will still end up as a gigantic hit for Universal

which already has FF7 & Grey as their big earners.

With Minions & JW waiting to rampage &  Ted 2 about to explode,

(& Everest, The Visit, J&Holograms, Krampus could all collectively be

more than decent), this could be a very nice year for Universal, and erase the 

stench that is the Seventh Son & Blackhat.

I am thinking it will still be a close race between MM and PP2 domestic totals. I can see both hitting around 140-150

Mad Max yes. But PP2 has a good shot at 200m with memorial wknd or at least 22 Jump Street numbers. With 65m opening, it barely needs a 3 multiplier.

Mad Max yes. But PP2 has a good shot at 200m with memorial wknd or at least 22 Jump Street numbers. With 65m opening, it barely needs a 3 multiplier.

Expecting a sizable drop next weekend for it since the audience is teen girls

PP is more than teen girls. But both movies have frontloaded fanbases, so I expect legs for both to be very similar. 2.8-2.9x for both is my guess, only because both are being well received by their target audiences. Otherwise they would be far more frontloaded than that.

With 65m opening. there's no way it only does 140m. That's far worse multiplier than Fault in Our Stars (69% 2nd wknd drop..)

• Like 1

PP is more than teen girls. But both movies have frontloaded fanbases, so I expect legs for both to be very similar. 2.8-2.9x for both is my guess, only because both are being well received by their target audiences. Otherwise they would be far more frontloaded than that.

2.9x legs would be bad for a film with such praise

holograms movie is not going to do anything. I dont know what Krampus is but i agree with everything else. 

2.9x legs would be bad for a film with such praise

Not for an R rated sci fi/action genre that exhausted most of the core fanbase with this OW. It's going to need a lot of newcomers seeing the movie now. Which some will I'm sure due to the WOM, but again there is a ceiling for that kind of movie at the box office. And I'd say 150 is right around that ceiling.

Edited by MovieMan89

LOL. You're a bit late with this. Those two films have been completely forgotten, and Universal is now the studio to beat this year.

50 Shades Of Grey made over 14x its production cost at the global box office. Their profits on that film obliterated their losses on Blackhat and Seventh Son, the latter of which they didn't even bankroll and simply acquired the distribution rights to with the Legendary Pictures deal. Unfriended and The Boy Next Door will each turn a profit after achieving insane budget to box office gross ratios. Furious 7 and Pitch Perfect will both make massive profits. The rest of their 2015 release schedule is awesome.

PP2 is getting decent reviews, especially for a sequel to a comedy that was surprisingly good. Those kind of sequels turn pretty bad all the time. From the reactions so far, looks more Jump street 22 than hangover 2, so it wont die after the big OW.

And what about furious 7 late legs? Unreal for this franchise, Paul Walker effect wasn't just about the opening.

PP2 is getting decent reviews, especially for a sequel to a comedy that was surprisingly good. Those kind of sequels turn pretty bad all the time. From the reactions so far, looks more Jump street 22 than hangover 2, so it wont die after the big OW.

And what about furious 7 late legs? Unreal for this franchise, Paul Walker effect wasn't just about the opening.

Furious 7 legs has been on par with Fast 5 and 6, in fact it will end with a lower multiplier. Of course it's coming from a much bigger opening but...