Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

$28-32 million OW is more likely if Tomorrowland breaks out. Post-Memorial isn't a great time for big tentpoles. 

Several films have now opened to $50 million in October. The release date doesn't really matter anymore, the product does.

Edited by PDC1987

Because of TA's WW 3D, I think its safe to call F7 the highest attended movie of the decade, and highest attended since Avatar...this still hasnt sunk in...

What do you think will beat TA domestically though ? 

Doubt it. Tomorrowland and Poltergeist are zero competition for PP2, there hasn't been anything solid for teen girls since Insurgent, and it's a holiday weekend.

$55-60 million 4 day likely. It'll drop like a rock after next week, though due to Aloha and Spy. 

Tomorrowland for sure, but I do think there is some crossover for Poltergeist.  Still, I just meant that I don't think a film like PP2 could ever be 4 quadrant.  There was a huge rush factor for the audience to see this, though the small Saturday drop is a very healthy sign.  I'll happily be wrong I just could see it really falling off from here out, and settling around 170-180.

• Like 1

After it's proven once again with BatSupes, Easter weekend will become coveted.

And then after Furious 8 drops big people will try to pin it on that Easter release date, somehow

(I think people overrate release dates in general)

• Like 1

A Tale Of Two Demos - maybe the two most perfect films to open up against one another

FURY ROAD -  Males (70%), 35+ (54%) 3D (46%)

Variety:  80% of Pitch Perfect 2 audience is female

Didn't some one (water?) say that Mad Max was going to have a better female demo than MARVEL's films :rolleyes:  looks like the females didn't turn out for this one Water.

• Like 1

Didn't some one (water?) say that Mad Max was going to have a better female demo than MARVEL's films :rolleyes:  looks like the females didn't turn out for this one Water.

Its percentage would of been a lot better if PP2 did not open this week. Possibly a 40-60% split

So basically PP2 pulled off an Austin Powers 2, Terminator 2 or The Dark Knight type increase. Sequel to a well liked movie which didn't earn a lot in theaters but found a new lease of life on home video just exploded on OW.

• Like 2

Because of TA's WW 3D, I think its safe to call F7 the highest attended movie of the decade, and highest attended since Avatar...this still hasnt sunk in...

But F7 had 3d in foreign markets.

Tomorrowland for sure, but I do think there is some crossover for Poltergeist.  Still, I just meant that I don't think a film like PP2 could ever be 4 quadrant.  There was a huge rush factor for the audience to see this, though the small Saturday drop is a very healthy sign.  I'll happily be wrong I just could see it really falling off from here out, and settling around 170-180.

Realistically PP2 will do something akin to this:

$45 million/$56 million ($148 million)

$20 million ($179 million)

$9.5 million ($195 million)

$7.5 million ($208 million)

$5.5 million ($218 million)

$2.5 million ($222 million)

$230 million DOM

Paper Towns and Minions are the only major films for the remaining summer lineup with major teen girl appeal, so PP2 should do $210-240 million DOM handily, especially with an A- CS and a solid Sat hold 

• Like 1