Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

In my ten years (time flys) of working in the theater biz, Furious 7 this year was our third busiest day ever and busiest day in over 5 years. Avengers while Hugh did not come close. Hell American Sniper this last January was busier than the first Avengers weekend attendance.

Its all local really.

Fast 7 was biggest opening day at certain theaters around me handily. 

Bigger then Batman , TA, DH2 everything. 

None of those film had sold shows from 11am till the evening on opening day. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Could Poltergeist be already the biggest horror movie of year with It's OW? How's the hype in America?

Largely nonexistent. I think it was a huge mistake to put it on Memorial Day Weekend (speaking of which, this might challenge 2010 for the "weakest" Memorial Day frame of the last 15 years judging by the muted buzz for both openers).

Massive for both of this weekend's openers. I saw both movies yesterday (Pitch Perfect 2 was pretty good while Mad Max was ah-may-zing) so glad that they are really cleaning up.

• Like 3

Its all local really.

Fast 7 was biggest opening day at certain theaters around me handily.

Bigger then Batman , TA, DH2 everything.

None of those film had sold shows from 11am till the evening on opening day.

I'm strictly talking attendance with all movies combined not just one film. If talking one film Furious 7 opening day takes the cake by far out of anything that has opened at my location ( ever) .

Yea it's all about the area.

Must have been raining or something at boners location. My site is also a Texas site so I doubt it's much of a difference .

Edited by Vanilla

I wonder if Cinderella has sold more tickets than Maleficent. Let's face it, 3D may not be a crucial element domestic anymore but it definitely is OS, and it played a role in buoying Mal's numbers.

Cinderella has done pretty well in Japan with that Frozen short in front of it. Great result either way. People criticizing that it didn't make $200m domestic. Who cares when it makes almost six (6) times its production budget? :lol:

Edited by Ecstasy
  • Like 2

I'm strictly talking attendance with all movies combined not just one film. If talking one film Furious 7 opening day takes the cake by far out of anything that has opened at my location ( ever) .

Year it's all about the area.

Must have been raining or something at boners location. My site is also a Texas site so I doubt it's much of a difference .

It depends at my theater, middle of a large youth minority demo where Fast and Furious films are more popular then any other film series. It went berserk.

However  a few km away, different demos and it seemed just a normal opening day.