grim22

Monday numbers Rth: Mad Max #1 with 5.3M, PP2 5.21M AoU 3.4M #AnUpsetForTheAges

It's a twisted state that some have convinced themselves when expectations are the leading indicator of a films financial take vs the actual amount of money coming in. 

It's been an issue for some time. The reality of the thing is that it's still a gargantuan success and that too often in Box Office circles some(I've been guilty before) allow their feelings/emotions to gauge their expectation into being too far fetched. When that far fetched expectation bar isn't reached--now something is just MEH?!?

I'm only quoting Damien cause his is the last in a string of similar posts across the forums and it's not directly aimed at him. I'm just so over the "expectations, expectations" line. Faulty factors can cause faulty expectations and this needs to be realized as well. 

Part of the joke is that 1.5 billion can't really be considered meh.

I also once called TDKR the first 450 million dollar disappointment. It's still a fantastic amount of money, but relative to expectations...

Expectations have an emotional component. When people make a prediction, that's a degree of personal investment. we saw people pushing for 600m DOM, 1.8b WW or more. I think some people were saying above Titanic in both DOM and WW grosses including its 3D re-release. Once they've gone that far, what AoU is doing is going to feel like a profound disappointment.

I was considerably less bullish. While I did let my expectations get a bit higher just prior to release, even then I was thinking an opening a bit below the first, a DOM total in the low 500s, and a WW total just a bit above the first (mostly thanks to China & Korea expanding.) Those were fairly conservative expectations and it's going to fail to reach all of them. I'm not disappointed in the performance, but I am at least mildly surprised. There was a lot more that AoU could have done and really didn't. So, yeah. It's a bit meh. But it's still also a really successful run.

A box office performance can be fantastic in a vacuum and disappointing when you consider all the factors in play.

• Like 10

Do studios still get a larger percentage of the gross on opening weekend than later weekends? I seem to remember that huge openings were better for them than long legs.

Yes, they get a smaller share the longer a movie has been out, and that's not changing any time soon.

It's no coincidence this method arose while studios began making film more and more front loaded and putting an emphasis on getting the biggest OW possible.

Edited by PDC1987

I don't understand why some still have a problem with people being disappointed. Like damn, is it really affecting your life that much if someone sees Avengers $450 as disappointing? Yes its silly when you think about that sheer number, but when people have had their minds (and hearts) set on something else for 3 years, its hard to just drop that. 

People saying how disappointed they are over and over is annoying, but so is the people that keep complaining over and over everytime someone expresses their disappointment. Geez.

• Like 6

I... er... um... what?

I was thinking more romantic comedy too.

Well.......they are though.

It made more sense in my head, lol. Ignore me, Im not going to try and argue  :lol:

• Like 2

I think it's two factors, mainly. One, a sequel to a popular series is gonna be more front-loaded, especially one that has a diehard, dedicated fanbase. And secondly, adults are more likely to see an evening movie during the week.

At first I thought you were describing the Mad Max franchise.   :lol:

• Like 2

I don't understand why some still have a problem with people being disappointed. Like damn, is it really affecting your life that much if someone sees Avengers $450 as disappointing? Yes its silly when you think about that sheer number, but when people have had their minds (and hearts) set on something else for 3 years, its hard to just drop that. 

People saying how disappointed they are over and over is annoying, but so is the people that keep complaining over and over everytime someone expresses their disappointment. Geez.

I think they have stock in NYSE: DIS. 

Part of the joke is that 1.5 billion can't really be considered meh.

I also once called TDKR the first 450 million dollar disappointment. It's still a fantastic amount of money, but relative to expectations...

Expectations have an emotional component. When people make a prediction, that's a degree of personal investment. we saw people pushing for 600m DOM, 1.8b WW or more. I think some people were saying above Titanic in both DOM and WW grosses including its 3D re-release. Once they've gone that far, what AoU is doing is going to feel like a profound disappointment.

I was considerably less bullish. While I did let my expectations get a bit higher just prior to release, even then I was thinking an opening a bit below the first, a DOM total in the low 500s, and a WW total just a bit above the first (mostly thanks to China & Korea expanding.) Those were fairly conservative expectations and it's going to fail to reach all of them. I'm not disappointed in the performance, but I am at least mildly surprised. There was a lot more that AoU could have done and really didn't. So, yeah. It's a bit meh. But it's still also a really successful run.

A box office performance can be fantastic in a vacuum and disappointing when you consider all the factors in play.

This. Hence the said expectations from here. We all believed it could do such numbers for various reasons. People are like disappointed because it could have made more but didn't, and not because of the total per se. It's a huge number. If this made more, the box office discussions would be more exciting, and that the Marvelites would be more active here, right?

Even if AOU had done better and the post count on these topics would be higher, how many of those posts would go beyond "wow! Look at how well AOU is doing!" or "amazing/good /great AOU number!"? The conversations are somewhat boring because AOU is simply doing too good for the haters but not good enough for the fanboys.

• Like 1

huh nobody see AOU as a flop. Just somewhat disappointing in that they felt there was potential for more money on the table. It's more like "damn even though it is a hit I was expecting it to do more based on such and such reason". This isn't a new thing. 

Idk, I feel like having this same exact conversation for 15 straight days means we kinda covered it. But I expect 15 more days of the same loop

So, yay. What does disappointment mean to youuuuuuuuuuu

• Like 1