kayumanggi

Weekend Estimates (4-day): TL 41.7 M | PP II 38.5 M | MM: FR 32.1 M | A:AOU 27.8 M | POLTERGEIST 26.5 M

Like I said, Disney is not in the business for movies. It really doesn't matter how much they spent on Tomorrowland. Last year only 14% of their revenue came from movies. So whatever they spent on Tomorrowland, they spent a lot more on Disneyland, and their TV empire, which is their biggest revenue earner.

So ESPN, ABC, Disney Channel, Disney XD with Tele's Lab Rats, etc, are more of a priority to Disney than Tomorrowland is. Even though movies made them $7.2 billion last year, as a whole they made $48 billion, which is bigger than the GDP of many countries. So I reallyyyy don't think a $100M write off on Tomorrowland is going to have them crying too much in the long run. They still pretty much rule the world. Them, McDonalds, and Walmart... 

Edited by Jandrew

Like I said, Disney is not in the business for movies. It really doesn't matter how much they spent on Tomorrowland. Last year only 14% of their revenue came from movies. So whatever they spent on Tomorrowland, they spent a lot more on Disneyland, and their TV empire, which is their biggest revenue earner.

So ESPN, ABC, Disney Channel, Disney XD with Tele's Lab Rats, etc, are more of a priority to Disney than Tomorrowland is. Even though movies made them $7.2 billion last year, as a whole they made $48 billion, which is bigger than the GDP of many countries. So I reallyyyy don't think a $100M write off on Tomorrowland is going to have them crying too much in the long run. They still pretty much rule the world. Them, McDonalds, and Walmart... 

There are also starving children in Africa. So what if movies don't make up too much of their revenue? It's still a flop and they've wasted money.

There are also starving children in Africa. So what if movies don't make up too much of their revenue? It's still a flop and they've wasted money.

Starving children in Africa could've eaten that $180 million budget.

• Like 4

I feel that the film could have weak legs. WOM looks like it will be weak with those reviews, plus Clooney isn't a guaranteed draw. I mean Gravity's success was due to stellar reviews and I think Bullock got more buzz from it. I feel like Britt and Raffey are going to be the main factor in its strong WOM rather than Clooney. If Britt can reach J-Law popularity (unlikely), or at least Margot Robbie/Dakota Johnson-level buzz, then the film could be remembered as hers rather than Clooney's. But right now, I don't feel much more hype for her than I did for Taron Egerton with Kingsman.

It's really lucky to have a PG rating. If this was PG-13, I guarantee this would be massacred by San Andreas next week.

For reference, John Carter had a 9.8 Friday. If both films played out similarly, then the 3-day would be around 34 for Tomorrowland, naturally less because of the Monday holiday. That's not to say that they will follow precisely the same pattern, obviously - Saturday will likely see a bigger increase than JC.

sorry guys that number for Tomorrowland is poor considering the huge budget and the fact overseas numbers are looking poor as well

sorry but 

Fantastic movie :)

That'd be great, as long as you were using your own money. 

Nah, all the studios would know that my film will be the greatest film ever so they need me.

PoP had an OD of 10M and didn't do 40M. Not sure if TL will either.

Prince of Persia had a legitimate (if small) fanbase, and it didn't have the Disney brand which appeals to families. (Yes, I know it was made by Disney, but I mean Tomorrowland is literally a film about Disneyland, so there is a key difference)

9-12? Well, lets just hope Rth says 12...

hope? did you like the movie then?

This is what 3.5M dollars buys you

:lol: that was an absurd move. Lots of SW there, Disney treating Carter as if it's some sort of legendary brand - and the AotC-style gladiator scene.

If these estimates keep up it could be a photo finish between Tomorrowland and Poultrygeist

I assume you mean the weekend. How on earth would that happen? 

If you dont mean the weekend and just Friday, then thanks captain obvious.

Clooney has never been a box office draw. 

Wrong. Gravity, Ocean's trilogy, Perfect Storm are all big hits. Not to mention that many of his lower-budget dramas were much more successful than they would likely be with lesser-known actors.

I liked every recent Disney s flop except for Lone Ranger, it bored me to tears and Depp, I just can t take it anymore...

He is insufferable in every single thing he does. Hasn't made a good film in like 20 years.

How did Lindelof become a thing?

Say what you like about the films but STID, WWZ and Prometheus were all box office successes to varying extents. He is a writer who has written blockbuster films, that's why he is a thing.

I feel that the film could have weak legs. WOM looks like it will be weak with those reviews

?? since when have reviews been indicative of word of mouth?

Watching the NBA Playoffs and just saw an ad for Black Mass. And it seemed longer than 30 seconds. That shit doesn't come out till September. WB is super confident. Way too early, but they could have something special.

Depp's last good performance? The first Pirates of the Caribbean?

Depp is terrible in Pirates of the Caribbean, but if you think he's good in the first one, why don't you think he's good in the other 3? He does exactly the same thing in all four.

Depp is terrible in Pirates of the Caribbean, but if you think he's good in the first one, why don't you think he's good in the other 3? He does exactly the same thing in all four.

In the first Pirates, Depp went off the script and pretty much created the Jack character himself. In all the sequels, the writers were writing what they Jack should act like so it wasn't as good.

• Like 3

In the first Pirates, Depp went off the script and pretty much created the Jack character himself. In all the sequels, the writers were writing what they Jack should act like so it wasn't as good.

Yes, obviously in the sequels the writers adapted to Depp's character, but I wouldn't say the performance is any different. Just because it's not 'original' (I use the term loosely), that doesn't mean it's worse.

Good one, I hate musicals but he was good in the role even if he had the trademark annoying white pale Tim Burton annoying make up.

Although Depp's singing left a lot to be desired, he wasn't hamming his role up to the point of unintentional parody, thankfully.

Edited by Furiousarcher