K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

Dinosaurs are so much cooler than superheroes. 

A monster that actually existed tens of millions of years ago? 

Or some fucker dressing up as a bat or an ant? 

I would think dinosaurs have more universal appeal and that is borne out in the fact none of the biggest superhero movies are even close to JP1's ticket sales, at least domestic. Imagine if that movie came out today with the expanded overseas markets and it was the very first realistic dinosaur movie (just as it was in 1993). Avatar's $2.7b possibly could have been in danger.

Edited by redfirebird2008

It's going to jump 10-15% today (from 64.4M), not stay 0-5%.  Demand levels are too high, roughly first true summer weekend, relatively massive surprise breakout --> all signs point to a strong jump today.  Sunday drop will be heavy with NBA/GOT.

Don't forget WWE's Money in the Bank & E3 will also play a factor too

• Like 1

OK! where is that Bloak on this site who has a Mad Max Fury Road avatar yet posts bull about how bad it was or how bad it's doing at the Box office?

Anyhow, NOW you can talk bull, yes, it DROPPED off a cliff now.

The last few weeks it was doing well.

That guy's like the biggest Debbie Downer here, though. 

I noticed that during my screening when the Raptors are responding to Indominus' authority and slowly turn towards Pratt & the handlers, everybody is laughing & giggling like crazy. They are rooting for the dinos...

That's not uncommon for movies with such bland characters. I spent all of Jurassic Park III hoping that Tea Leoni would be slowly digested over the credits.

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 1

I didn't think June 2013's record would be broken this year (still a bit iffy to be honest) but this makes things much more likely.

June 19-21

1. Jurassic World: $102 million ($410 million) 
  2. Inside Out: $84 million 
  3. Spy: $11.5 million ($78 million)
  4. San Andreas: $7 million ($132 million)
  5. Dope: $5.5 million 
  6. Pitch Perfect 2: $4 million ($177 million)
  7. Mad Max - Fury Road: $3 million ($143 million)
  8. Tomorrowland: $3 million ($89 million)
  9. Avengers - Age of Ultron: $2.5 million ($449 million) 
  10. Entourage: $2 million ($29 million) 

Roughly $230-235 million total, same as 2013. 

6/26-6/28

1. Ted 2: $76 million 
  2. Inside Out: $59 million ($200 million) 
  3. Jurassic World: $54 million ($526 million) 
  4. Max: $15 million 
  5. Spy: $6 million ($90 million)
  6. San Andreas: $5 million ($142 million)
  7. Dope: $4 million 
  8. Pitch Perfect 2: $3 million ($183 million) 
  9. Mad Max - Fury Road: $2 million ($147 million)
  10. Tomorrowland: $2 million ($93 million)

$230-235 million again. More than June 2013. 

It'd require the next two weekends to be gigantic, but topping June 2013 is definitely possible. 

Guys in their 20s-30s were not even born or young kids when the original opened though...

What do you mean? I'm 31.... The first JP came out when I was 9. It was the pivotal cinematic experience of my youth.

So with JW grossing what it has thus far, what have we learned from all of this??? Another words, people thought the trailers were, what's the internet word used?? Meh?? Meh trailers = a movie grossing close to 200M in 1 weekend.. From this point on, we shouldn't use trailers as a guideline for predicting box office, especially since the general audience doesn't think like the internet movie forums do...

Umm I used trailers to predict it to breakout, didn't think it would be THIS big though. Trailer views are a good indicator. As for what we have learned? Nostalgia owns all.