K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

I agree with this. Piracy has killed the B.O. in many ways.

Thats complete rot. At mosts it cost a movie maybe 50-100k tickets, thats it, and thats a movie like this. For a smaller hit its inconsequential. What it hurts is DVD/BR sales, and frankly with the DRM bullcrap and forced ads they deserve it.

Even TV isnt that affected by piracy and that gets hit far harder than movies, GoT has millions of downloads, but mainly because its network is subscription and simply unavailable to most people legally..

time to greenlight all of these movies

Jaws 5

ET 2

Fatal Attraction 2

Back to the Future 4

Forrest Gump 2

Home Alone 4 with Culkin as the dad as someone suggested

Speed 3 with Keanu Reeves

Under Siege 3 with Seagal (YES this must happen)

Jack Ryan movie with Harrison Ford back

True Lies 2 with Arnold and Jamie Lee Curtis

The Mask 2 with Jim Carrey and Cameron Diaz

Matrix 4

what else? Anything I am missing?

Speed 3 may be the closest to actually becoming true. Apparently a script reuniting Jack and Annie is already completed and is pretty good according to people who have read it, Keanu just came back thanks to John Wick and Bullock is bigger than ever.

• Like 1

Apples version of minimum brightness is my version of moderate brightness. I have to invert my colors quite alot and change those whites to blacks. Its annoying.

Ha, I agree about the minimum brightness. On my Mac computers I have an application called Screen Shade. Really helps on the laptop late at night or early in the morning when my eyes are tired. Not sure if they make Screen Shade for iPad.

• Like 1

No one expected this from JW so I am betting on it

And I hope you are right.  But the weekend before Christmas is not conducive to opening weekend records....too much to do.  Now, watch it fall about 10% in the second weekend, so it really doesn't matter how big it opens, the legs will be quite astonishing.

• Like 1

Actually, the ONLY record it can possibly beat is the December OW one. The all time OW is out of reach, so is the WW OW, the OS OW, the midnight OW.

Yea, none of this is true.  It can break all those records.  I don't think it will, but it most certainly can.

• Like 2

It's interesting, someone I know made a parallel of Chris Pratt's career mirroring Will Smith's in the 90s:

Fresh Prince - Parks and Rec (obviously Smith is a bigger element of the former's success but still)

Men in Black - Guardians of the Galaxy (comic book based original property)

Independence Day - Jurassic World (something would've done well without Pratt/Smith, but still is boosted by the star power)

I think ID came out before MiB. Still, a very good analogy.

Thats complete rot. At mosts it cost a movie maybe 50-100k tickets, thats it, and thats a movie like this. For a smaller hit its inconsequential. What it hurts is DVD/BR sales, and frankly with the DRM bullcrap and forced ads they deserve it.

Even TV isnt that affected by piracy and that gets hit far harder than movies, GoT has millions of downloads, but mainly because its network is subscription and simply unavailable to most people legally..

Can't believe I'm saying this twice in 3 days, but that's like saying piracy and streaming aren't what tanked album sales and then digital track sales.

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 1

If the next trailer astonishes like this last one did, I think it might be possible.. I want Luke Skywalker show in the next one and I think it could do it..

I think it was me and Numbers or me and Panda who were spitballing ideas and what they need to do in the next trailer is end it with Luke and Leia standing side by side surrounded by a bunch of bad guys.  They look at each other, say something, then Luke draws his lightsabre and then Leia does too.  Cue music and then SW Episode 7 coming Christmas 2015.

I'd have to change my pants.  

• Like 1

triple-facepalm-picard-543.jpg

This weekend and AOU just prove how difficult it is to actually predict record openers.

I can't remember the last time any movie opened so far ahead of tracking.

There was an article last year about tracking films more than around 120m is extremely hard because usually all social services/indicators are fairly saturated by that point.

From Gopher's thread:

I think it's hard to explain but it might just be one of the coolest scenes in the movie that helps explain it.  Now this will be a bit spoilerish but t the same time, even if it wasn't in the movie, I would be saying this, so it's the movie mirroring reality and visa versa.

Dinosaurs took a hit after JP3, no one cared about dinosaurs anymore, so instead of just reopening the same park with the same dinosaurs, they had to make it bigger, meaner, faster, smarter and more everything.  And that's what they did.  TREX is so 1993, the I-Rex is where it's at.  They took that concept, kind of hid it from us, showing us only very very brief shots of its feet, its shadow and so on.  They did show us the water beast eating the shark, which got us all interested.  Then you have Pratt telling us that this is a highly intelligent animal that will kill anything that moves.  And then at the end of the trailer, we have the money shot, the one that so many here hated, but everyone else seems to love....the shot of Pratt on the motorcycle with the Raptors following him.  Genius.  The trailer really helped sell this as a must see.  

Spielberg's name helped sell it.  While he is far removed from his blockbuster days, his name is still associated with Jurassic Park so getting him involved obviously helped.

Pratt's involvement had to work wonders as well.  And the line in the trailer about making a new dinosaur and it not being a good idea had to do something as well.

There's been enough time between the third and this one that people are interested again.  

The visuals are stunning.

The release date could not have been better.  It gave Ultron plenty of time to breathe and subsequently disappoint a lot of people.  So now we're all ready for not just the next tentpole, but obviously the summer film event of 2015. There was nothing that opened last week that was going to be direct competition for this and with it being the second week of June, a lot of schools are out as well.  Perfect release date.

You have people my age, who are now parents, taking their kids to see it.

Before this opened, I had it pegged at about 120 mill opening weekend and about a 300 finish.  Nothing could prepare most of us for what it has done.  This is truly something special.

All of my points are just theories....I really can't put a finger on all that went right.

• Like 2