K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

I just hope I don't have to work on SW Thursday screenings. Sure, it's not a huge theatre, but we had upwards of 500 people for JW Thursday, most of which bought concession, and we had 3 people working at concession.

Thankfully I wasn't one of them. But I wish I had been there to stand and laugh as they struggle.

• Like 2

Something that struck me...

It's possible Universal released their estimates super early to get early headlines about the movie's box office success. There's a ton of positive traffic about it on social media. If there were people who debated seeing it this weekend, this might sway them in that direction. Everybody wants to be part of a historic opening like this.

Just a theory.

• Like 4

hey guys..

i've been here as passive for a year now..usually dont login but the epic weekend of JW made me login again:3

i follow this forums since the Mojo forum era.

and follow BO results since 2005 (by the time was a bad year to follow) xD

• Like 2

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/jurassic-world-destroys-record-global-box-office-debut-154612761.html

Yahoo's weekend recap, already staring JW as having the 2nd biggest OW of all time. Even if it does break the record, no one outside boxoffice forums is going to really care. Universal should have just put out a 210M estimate so the headlines this weekend read record breaker.

Edited by Jim Shorts
  • Like 3

Playboy: You make quintessential guy movies. Do you have an secret nonguy hobbies?

Tarantino: It's more a matter of guy things that I don't do. I don't hang around pool halls. I don't play poker. And I don't go to sporting events. To me, torture would be watching sports on television. If I go to Dodger Stadium, that's ok, because the game is secondary to the beer and the environment. One thing I don't understand is that average American movie-goers cannot watch a movie for three hours, yet they'll watch a stupid, boring, horrific football game for four hours. Now, that is boredom at its most colossal. I have a lot of little theories, and one of them is that nobody really likes sports. But men feel they should like sports, so they act as if they do. I also feel that way about the Who. I don't think anybody really likes that band. Everyone thinks they're supposed to like the Who, so they just pretend. They're afraid to say that the emperor has no clothes.

Oh, Good God, this is probably the most idiotic thing posted in this thread and that's saying a lot (no offense to you, KingoftheWorld, you're just the messenger). Plenty of guys don't like sports, plenty of women do: NBD, it takes all kinds to make the world go around. I doubt the freaking NFL Draft gets the ratings it does because American men are just pretending they like sports due to peer pressure. Why is it so hard for some people to accept that things can be massively popular anyway, even if they don't personally happen to be fans? Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean that there is nothing to get. Live and let live, people!

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/jurassic-world-destroys-record-global-box-office-debut-154612761.html

Yahoo's weekend recap, already staring JW as having the 2nd biggest OW of all time. Even if it does break the record, no one outside boxofficemojo forums is going to really care. Universal should have just put out a 210M estimate so the headlines this weekend read record breaker.

I don't think it matters because the headline and focus of that article is JW being the first movie to ever make $500M in one weekend. So people still will know its #1 in something.

But damn! Biggest WW opening ever? I didn't know that! 

Yahoo's weekend recap, already staring JW as having the 2nd biggest OW of all time. Even if it does break the record, no one outside boxofficemojo forums is going to really care. Universal should have just put out a 210M estimate so the headlines this weekend read record breaker.

It will get separate press for breaking the record tomorrow. Variety and THR in particular plaster Facebook with articles about EVERYTHING.

As someone who's bored stupid by sports I find that Tarantino quote amusing, but it's definitely bullshit. I've seen with my own eyes people who are pathologically into watching it on TV.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

But ticket prices haven't gone up much since 2012. If they went up by as much as they did from 2002-2005 for example they'd be at $8.78 not (at most) $8.30. If they wen't up by as much as from 2007-2010, they'd be over $9. The last few years has seen the slowest ticket price inflation since the early 1990s.

News to me; over the past 2 years a regular 2D adult evening ticket at Regal Hacienda Crossings has gone up from $11.50 to $13.50. Must just be the Bay Area/Silicon Valley - maybe due to the resurgent tech industry? Everything seems to be more expensive here. The ticket prices I pay for normal 2D evenings are well above the national average, and seem to have increased at a faster rate.

Edited by TServo2049