K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

Random shower thought: if they're going with another indie director for Jurassic Park 5, I vote Damien Chazelle; he did a very good job with tension in Whiplash and I think he could handle the fun characters needed for a JP movie

• Like 2

You can't answer those questions for sure, but you can say the average price in 1993 was very low compared to now and JP1 sold 86 million tickets. The industry itself puts out the average price so we know the 86 million ticket number is fairly accurate, especially since back then they didn't have IMAX or 3D or any other bullshit to distort the dollar gross. All you would need is 50 million tickets today to hit $400-425m.

Only this should have roughly $400 million by next Sunday 

$100 million ($400 million) 

$60 million ($520 million)

$35 million ($590 million)

$20 million ($630 million)

On its way to $650-670 million DOM, from a $210 million OW. 

From $220 million OW

$105 million ($427 million)

$62 million ($550 million)

$37.5 million ($625 million)

$22 million ($669 million)

$9.5 million ($688 million)

$5 million ($698 million)

$2 million ($702 million)

On its way to $710-715 million DOM. I think this is going for a 3x-3.5x. Epic BO run overall. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

They wouldn't. No way would JP gross 750mil if it released this year instead of 1993. Same with Gone With The Wind, it wouldn't make 1.5billion or whatever its adjusted gross is (with a million re-releases) if it released today.

How can you say that for sure in the case of JP? You have its third sequel potentially hitting $550m+ when it's all said and done, which should give you an idea of the power this brand has. If JP1 came out today and it was the first of its kind just like 1993, I believe $750m would be the bare minimum scenario.

They wouldn't. No way would JP gross 750mil if it released this year instead of 1993. Same with Gone With The Wind, it wouldn't make 1.5billion or whatever its adjusted gross is (with a million re-releases) if it released today.

This is true. But what's important for what red is talking about is the 86m, not whatever the dollar figure is.

Only this should have roughly $400 million by next Sunday 

$100 million ($400 million) 

$60 million ($520 million)

$35 million ($590 million)

$20 million ($630 million)

On its way to $650-670 million DOM, from a $210 million OW. 

From $220 million OW

$105 million ($427 million)

$62 million ($550 million)

$37.5 million ($625 million)

$22 million ($669 million)

$9.5 million ($688 million)

$5 million ($698 million)

$2 million ($702 million)

On its way to $710-715 million DOM. I think this is going for a 3x-3.5x. Epic BO run overall.

PLEASE, LET IT BE TRUE.

50.0 M China (3 days)

09.8 M UK (1 day)

06.1 M France (3 days)

05.2 M Russia ( 2 days)

05.1 M Mexico (1 day)

04.7 M South Korea (2 days)

04.6 M Australia (2 days)

04.1 M Germany (2 days)

03.8 M Taiwan (1 day)

02.7 M India (2 days)

02.7 M Malaysia (2 days)

02.3 M Brazil (2 days)

02.2 M Italy (2 days)

02.0 M Spain (1 day)

• Like 2

I think it's interesting that if this breaks the OW record, I think that record might officially become like DOM/WW All-Time. By that I mean it's impossible to predict. No one predicted Avengers 1 would break the OW record, and same with Jurassic World. It's becoming so high, it's becoming impossible to predict.

How can you say that for sure in the case of JP? You have its third sequel potentially hitting $550m+ when it's all said and done, which should give you an idea of the power this brand has. If JP1 came out today and it was the first of its kind just like 1993, I believe $750m would be the bare minimum scenario.

JP was fresh and had the cgi factor, no one had seen things like that before, living and breathing dinosaurs. If it released today, it wouldn't have that factor, we have cgi films coming out of our buttholes today.

Unbelievable.

Absolutely unbelievable.

My hats off to Universal. First they scored a MEGA HIT with Furious 7, beating even the wildest expectations.

Now they are blowing everyone's minds here with Jurassic World. This now makes TWO films in the last couple of months that have absolutely stolen Age of Ultron's thunder. Age of Ultron domestically will finish just barely above The Dark Knight Rises, which is incredible when you think about it, given the handicap TDKR's run had and AOU does not.

Back on topic, great work by Universal this year countering the Disney/Marvel monster. Real, viable, strong competition is always great. Monopolies, or flimsy competition is not.