grim22

JURASSIC WORLD WEEKEND ACTUALS | TRIPLE RECORD!!!! (DOM - 208.8M; OS - 315.3M; WW - 524.1M). DOWN GOES AVENGERS.

The bloody jacket thing was pretty mild imo.  Besides the little girl suddenly turning into Neo and kicking a raptor out of a window, I think the dumbest part of TLW was the guy that felt like he had to walk half a mile away from the group in order to take a piss.  Why not just piss right there with your back facing the group when you know you're on an Island full of hungry dinosaurs?

Edited by Ozymandias

Something I want to add to this post: of the post TS3-Pixar movies, it's commonly agreed Monsters U is actually the best of them, compared to Brave or Cars 2 definitely. When it came out, people were saying it belonged with 2000-2005 era Pixar. However, nowadays, no one even mentions it when talking about recent Pixar, even saying Inside Out is going to bring the studio back from a dark era. It's because Monsters U, even more than Brave or Cars 2, lacks a clear directorial vision, instead settling with an "let's imitate Pete Docter" mode of operation. Say what you want about Toy Story 3, but it has a much different tone and filmmaking style compared to the first two, with its darker humor and generally tense atmosphere. Unkrich let that movie shine with his own style, something that MU didn't, and something that, as Tele mentions, most DreamWorks movies nowadays fit into the homogenized version. Only HTTYD1-2, KFP2, and maybe Mad 3 feel like a directorial vision from DreamWorks nowadays (of course, Shrek 1 and 2 also fit in there, but that's older DreamWorks). Disney is pretty homogenized too; only Wreck-It Ralph of their recent work has felt different than generic Disney stuff. Basically, I'm hyped for Inside Out because it looks like it could be the only auteur-based animation this year, thanks to Docter.

I purposely didn't mention Lord/Miller in this post because I didn't want to come off as a fanboy

I rewatched MU a few days ago and I think the bigger problem with it is it really didn't have good pacing for its big beats.  While there are some big moments, they don't tend to happen at the culmination of the acts, and even the climax felt oddly subdued. It played things too safe.

(I'd disagree about its relative quality, too: Brave is a considerably better film.)

As far as DWA, I'd argue The Croods still retains the askew feel that Chris Sanders seems to bring to his films. It's not really in line with other DWA fare, even if it doesn't approach the Dragons in quality.

• Like 1

For me there's just nothing particularly special about MU. It's never awful but it never really stands out either. It feels like a movie Pixar made as a stopgap since all their better filmmakers' films weren't going to be ready for awhile

Edited by tribefan695

For me there's just nothing particularly special about MU. It's never awful but it never really stands out either. It feels like a movie Pixar made as a stopgap since all their better filmmakers' films weren't going to be ready for awhile

And that shows in the box office take as well, outside Cars 2, MU has the worst legs for a Pixar movie. Cars has a better multiplier.

Yeah went and looked at MU's breakdown, it's drops were worse than I thought. Straight 40's and 50 pretty much, for the most part. Didn't have a sub 40 drop until weekend 9. DM2 on the other hand had one in week 4 and beyond.

I thought MU was okay. Definately not on Monsters Inc level, which is a classic, but better than Pixar's other recent efforts. Still $268 is pretty loft and a great total for animated fare these days. 

• Like 1

I always love "The Lost World" cause I view that more as Dr. Ian's film where as the first one was more Dr. Grant and Ellie even though Malcolm definitely stole many scenes as was still a main character.  But in "Lost World" it was his show and that's why it was his family that went through the Adventure.   Also I know some like to throw rocks at San Diego which I agree it just takes the movie to a different space though I don't dislike as much as others.  

But I'd argue it opens the idea of Dinos in general population.  And where do you think these next JP sequels will probably touch on?  Also the En-Gen Soldiers in "Jurassic World" were very militarized like the hunters in "The Lost World".   Again the movie had a mountain to climb coming after "Jurassic Park", I honestly didn't leave disappointed.  I wanted to see again and eventually got it on VHS when it came out.  

• Like 1

Agreed with all those who give TLW the benefit of the doubt. Probably one of the most under-rated sequels ever. The trailer sequence is always awesome to watch. The scene where the T-Rex attacks the campsite is great. Ugh, I love the field scene where the hunters chase a whole bunch of dinosaurs. Velociraptors are of course always welcome. And the San Diego scene is better than all of Godzilla (2014). 

In fact, I'd probably rank them right now just for shits n giggles :) 

1. Jurassic Park

2. The Lost World

3. Jurassic World

4. Jurassic Park III

I need to re-watch JW though to really get a strong grasp of it. I really enjoyed it, but will probably enjoy it more on repeat viewings. The rankings between TLW and JW might switch.

JPIII is far more enjoyable than TLW. A little rushed and nowhere near as well-made as TLW, but very consistent from start to finish. It also brought back the real raptors after they were turned into rabid kangaroos in TLW.

More importantly it actually feels like an island inhabited by dinos.