jb007

Tuesday Actuals: JW 24.3M | DOWN GOES TDK TUESDAY | Not the Spielberg, Cameron, or Nolan thread!

For the record, Avatar didn't make 700 million and 2 billion because of visuals.  That's some revisionist history right there.  Just like Titanic didn't make 1.8 billion just because of teenage girls.  When you have a film that has a 10 fucking multiplier, it obviously spoke to people and they came to see it because they enjoyed it and it resonated with them.  You don't have to like it but to pigeon hole it as just a visual feast is complete and utter BS.

Not just visuals I guess, but that was definitely the main subject of wom. The spectacle of the film and the new world it essentially created was the driving force behind its huge gross, imo. It was a must see because of that, not the story. Obviously other things also helped, like Cameron's name. 

Edited by Heretic

For the record, Avatar didn't make 700 million and 2 billion because of visuals.  That's some revisionist history right there.  Just like Titanic didn't make 1.8 billion just because of teenage girls.  When you have a film that has a 10 fucking multiplier, it obviously spoke to people and they came to see it because they enjoyed it and it resonated with them.  You don't have to like it but to pigeon hole it as just a visual feast is complete and utter BS.

I stopped trying explaining that on this board a loooooong time ago.

Visuals and 3d played a part, sure but the story and characters worked, whatever the 8taz are saying.

Thanks for the effort though even if people who think otherwise won t change their minds about it.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

Not just visuals I guess, but that was definitely the main subject of wom. The spectacle of the film and the new world it essentially created was the driving force behind its huge gross, imo. It was a must see because of that, not the story. Obviously other things also helped, like Cameron's name. 

Well, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.  Transformers has incredible visuals.  So do a lot of movies.  I know you are talking about avatar being the first but imo, Journey to the Center of the Earth had better 3D than Avatar.  Regardless of what I think, I stand by the notion that Avatar had much much more going for it than just visuals.  And I'm not even a big Avatar fan.

• Like 1

Lol HV sales and tens of thousands of mini communities including one here begs to differ.

Avatar is and will always be leagues above JP world and JP.. Its impact on film , CGI breakthroughs music and story in one seperates it from JP Heretic.. When Avatar 2 rolls in some 8 yrs later and blows away JP world and SW7.. Im going to be here laughing at your hatred for Cameron. Hes a god because hes the pound for pound best.. Lets see Speilberg get major awards for writing,editing , screenplay

and best director for two world breakers. :)

End of discussion.. Back to JP World.. I also think if the domestic is high enough. Juggernaut 2 will take the OW WW Record back.

420 M by Monday or Tuesday all? JP definitely gotta give it props for the music and sound as well. First film to take it up a notch after T2

Are you forgetting that Jaws, ET and JP were "world breakers" as well? You can believe whatever you want but if JP didn't exist neither would Avatar. The real groundbreaking visual effects spectacle according to most people (except you) is Jurassic Park. Avatar took it up a notch using the same blueprints 16 years later but it had way less "impact" compared to JP. And let's not forget that avatar even copied the JP T-Rex roar lol. Music?! Don't even get me started. I doubt there's even a hundred people on the planet who remember the avatar theme - if it even exists. JP theme is second only to maybe Star Wars.

Jurassic Park has a lot more brand recognition, a much bigger fanbase and way more cultural impact than avatar. You don't need to insult JP in order to feel good about your favourite movie. I felt Avatar was a popcorn flick and the Dark Knight was more engaging to see so everyone has their own opinions which may or may not apply to other people. Stop pretending that your OPINION is fact. Then again I really don't care what you think - just felt like correcting some of your baseless claims. But yeah, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Edited by Scoobysaurus
  • Like 3

For the record, Avatar didn't make 700 million and 2 billion because of visuals. That's some revisionist history right there. Just like Titanic didn't make 1.8 billion just because of teenage girls. When you have a film that has a 10 fucking multiplier, it obviously spoke to people and they came to see it because they enjoyed it and it resonated with them. You don't have to like it but to pigeon hole it as just a visual feast is complete and utter BS.

lol

Hp 7-20 plus mil units sold ww and avtar nearly 50 lol.

This is just another moment that makes juggernaut 2009

Special my friend. Amen

Tribute to avatar. Fall of hme shots.

https://youtu.be/HWa0Op_BSTA

Well, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.  Transformers has incredible visuals.  So do a lot of movies.  I know you are talking about avatar being the first but imo, Journey to the Center of the Earth had better 3D than Avatar.  Regardless of what I think, I stand by the notion that Avatar had much much more going for it than just visuals.  And I'm not even a big Avatar fan.

Then what did it have? Huh? What else other than visuals and 3D made it stand apart from other films?

h42QWwZ.gif

I'll say this about Avatar. I liked the film. And if if I'm flipping channels and its on I might watch for a bit. But I've not had the urge to watch it all the way through again

• Like 1

Avatar legitimized 3D, even if it was only temporary.  The zeitgeist of "holy fuck this is gonna change movies forever!" was very very real.... I remember it, it was ridiculous.  That along with its visual spectacle which was the biggest since ROTK were easily the biggest parts of its WOM.   HV sales?  pfff, whatever lots of shit does really well there.

Edited by Ozymandias

Are you forgetting that Jaws, ET and JP were "world breakers" as well? You can believe whatever you want but if JP didn't exist neither would Avatar. The real groundbreaking visual effects spectacle according to most people (except you) is Jurassic Park. Avatar took it up a notch using the same blueprints 16 years later but it had way less "impact" compared to JP. And let's not forget that avatar even copied the JP T-Rex roar lol. Music?! Don't even get me started. I doubt there's even a hundred people on the planet who remember the avatar theme - if it even exists. JP theme is second only to maybe Star Wars.

Jurassic Park has way more brand recognition and a much bigger fanbase than avatar. You don't need to insult JP in order to feel good about your favourite movie. I felt Avatar was a popcorn flick and the Dark Knight was more engaging to see so everyone has their own opinions which may or may not apply to other people. Stop pretending that your OPINION is fact. Then again I really don't care what you think - just felt like correcting some of your baseless claims. But yeah, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Woah woah woah wooooooah.

Hold up.

Mr. Scooby..........ahem. Pleasure to meet you :) how have I not met your face before?

Different though. Avatar was marketed around it's visuals. TF isn't a 3D spectacle extravaganza film like Avatar. It's an action film with good visuals like all films in that genre. But we'll agree to disagree. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

Doesn't get any better

When John Williams dies, I know I will cry.

He is responsible for some of the most iconic and emotional moments in the history of film.

He is a "true" genius.

Still writes his music with a pen on blank music sheets to this day, never touched a computer.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

Are you forgetting that Jaws, ET and JP were "world breakers" as well? You can believe whatever you want but if JP didn't exist neither would Avatar. The real groundbreaking visual effects spectacle according to most people (except you) is Jurassic Park. Avatar took it up a notch using the same blueprints 16 years later, but it had way less "impact" compared to JP. And let's not forget that Avatar even copied the JP T-Rex roar. Lol. Music?! Don't even get me started. I doubt there's even a hundred people on the planet who remember the Avatar theme - if it even exists. JP theme is second only to maybe Star Wars.

Jurassic Park has way more brand recognition and a much bigger fanbase than Avatar. You don't need to insult JP in order to feel good about your favourite movie. I felt Avatar was a popcorn flick, and the Dark Knight was more engaging to see so everyone has their own opinions which may or may not apply to other people. Stop pretending that your OPINION is fact. Then again I really don't care what you think - just felt like correcting some of your baseless claims. But yeah, whatever helps you sleep at night.

That drag. Omg. And you're good looking.

6g5s7gt.gif

Edited by Claire Nolan Holt
  • Like 1

Then what did it have? Huh? What else other than visuals and 3D made it stand apart from other films?

h42QWwZ.gif

An engaging story.  Plain and simple.  Story sells film.  You guys might think it's visuals but without a good story no one gives a shit.  What do you think sold Titanic?  A terrific love story.  What do you think sold Rambo, Rocky, Terminator, Porky's, Jaws or any other film that sold a shit load of tickets?  It's the story.  Just because you don't like it or care for it, doesn't mean you represent the other 90 million people who saw it in NA.

DUH.  

Edited by baumer
  • Like 3

Avatar legitimized 3D, even if it was only temporary.  The zeitgeist of "holy fuck this is gonna change movies forever!" was very very real.... I remember it, it was ridiculous.  That along with its visual spectacle which was the biggest since ROTK were easily the biggest parts of its WOM.   HV sales?  pfff, whatever lots of shit does really well there.

While there is definitely some truth that the 3D thing helped Avatar tremendously, people still would have rejected the film if the story was complete rubbish. It was a generic story we've seen plenty of times but it was executed very well and Cameron is the greatest action director in the world. The third act was pretty spectacular from a pure action entertainment standpoint even without 3D.

• Like 2

Jurassic Park has way more brand recognition and a much bigger fanbase than avatar. You don't need to insult JP in order to feel good about your favourite movie. I felt Avatar was a popcorn flick and the Dark Knight was more engaging to see so everyone has their own opinions which may or may not apply to other people. Stop pretending that your OPINION is fact. Then again I really don't care what you think - just felt like correcting some of your baseless claims. But yeah, whatever helps you sleep at night.

if thats the case wheres your film rewards,hv sales or bo. Dont go into a bo debate unarmed without scruples scooby. You sound like a fanboy. We all posted tge facts for why avtr is superior in fan support to jp franchise.

Fact is cameron had terminator 2. There would be no jp if not fir his terminator films. Grasping at straws will always cause yu to lose the race.

An engaging story.  Plain and simple.  Story sells film.  You guys might think it's visuals but without a good story no one gives a shit.  What do you think sold Titanic?  A terrific love story.  What do you think sold Rambo, Rocky, Terminator, Porky's, Jaws or any other film that sold a shit load of tickets?  It's the story.  Just because you don't like it or care for it, doesn't mean you represent the other 90 million people who saw it NA.

DUH.  

Lmfao. I know that. I just wanted to use the gif, boo.

But I know that. Thanks for clocking me.

• Like 1