#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

1. I hate the Minions.

2. I hate that the Minions have spawned this fad where every animated movie has to have some cute, useless thing in it.

There has been Scrats, Penguins, etc. Minions are worse, though...

• Like 1

This plus Mad Max over performing absolutely prove reviews make a difference.

I liked your post, but they only really make a difference if they're universally praising or disparaging the movie. In the middle it doesn't really matter. Anything above 90 and especially above 95 will get a lot more people to see it then it ordinarily would have.

I don't have a thesis on hand to explain why I consider the Minions to be the biggest driving factor for today's animation, so we'll just have to end it here. I think that they're incredibly irritating, designed to be as simple and appealing as possible, without insulting anyone, and I think it's annoying is all :P

Oh, I totes agree. There was a well written article I read earlier this year on how much damage the minions are doing to the animation medium.

And I will have to say Frozen is not as good as Wall-E. And that comparing them to all of Miyazaki is kind of odd since Miyazaki films have different level of qualities as does every director/studios repitoire. I should have just spelled out that over the past two years, I'd put Song of the Sea and Princess Kaguya over IO. Disclaimer: I really liked and enjoyed IO. There are some issues I want to tease out later, but I'll keep that discussion to a different thread and different time when more people have seen the film.

• Like 1

Inside Out's Cinemascore is in. It's "just" an A. So should still have great legs but maybe not Frozen-level WOM.

Just and "A"

I was expecting an "A+" for sure

still and A is good

This isn't entirely wrong (people do underestimate the other characters) but the Minions are the cornerstone of the franchise's success and the Minions movie is going to introduce new human characters who might be just as appealing as the old ones.

People underestimate everything!

Even AGNES:

tumblr_mqansg1hnQ1sabo4ho5_500.gif

• Like 2

Really should go to bed with work in 8.5 hours, but I also really want one last update. You know BoxOffice is exciting when the forums crash and you're willing to be sleep deprived at work just for the latest update.

RTH I need you!

Edited by Mattrek Loves Del Toro