#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

To be fair, I get the feeling that they were going for the whole imminent danger effect of killing off a minor character. If even a minor character dies, it creates the sense that there's an actual threat. But the execution of it was definitely too sadistic for a character that didn't really do anything "bad" in the film. And JW is a PG-13 popcorn flick aimed at the masses. It's not some niche horror genre flick where doing that sort of thing wouldn't be out of place. The second viewing really made me realize how unwarranted brutal her death was.

To be fair...

She was irresponsible with the kids. Instead of watching them, she was holding stupid personal conversations on her phone and not paying attention to the kids.

I'm trying to think of the trailers shown today. Max, Ted 2. Mockingjay, MI:RN, Transporter, the Martian. Oh and that one one with Ryan Reynokds and Trevor

I know everyone's on the Jurassic World high but there are so many lackluster-looking movies coming up. Won't be surprised if the huge breakouts pave way for a bunch of disappointment later on this summer

I know everyone's on the Jurassic World high but there are so many lackluster-looking movies coming up. Won't be surprised if the huge breakouts pave way for a bunch of disappointment later on this summer

Your avatar-looks like a bad picture day :P:lol:

At JW opening night, I got TWO trailers for movies with Ben Kingsley. (The other was The Walk.)

I wonder of there will ever be a movie with Samuel L. Jackson, Morgan Freeman, Ben Kingsley and Paul Giamatti all in the cast. Because it seems like one of them is a supporting character in half of the live-action trailers I see...

Edited by TServo2049

Yeah, those parts were bad. But didn't you have fun during the movie. Fun parts outnumbered the bad parts leaving an overall fun movie. I don't think Jurassic Park was aiming to be a good movie. Just a fun movie.

No, I didn't have fun, unfortunately. I became bored and annoyed, and nothing the movie did changed that. If anything, it just made me more annoyed.

And believe me, I wasn't going in expecting to hate or demanding some perfectly constructed story. I just wanted coherence, basic intelligence, and some cool sequences.

Well aren't Sunday matinees always busy? The eve is what counts.

usually under or maybe slightly above, we are talking Matinees being what Sat early eve was doing, so like a double digit % increase that will reduce if it doesnt reduce under sat then....

WC will probably fail  :P

• Like 8

Yeah, those parts were bad. But didn't you have fun during the movie. Fun parts outnumbered the bad parts leaving an overall fun movie. I don't think Jurassic Park was aiming to be a good movie. Just a fun movie.

That's the thing, though. We know that blockbusters can be good and "fun" (Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders, Back to the Future, T2, JP1, SM1&2, LOTR, TA, etc. etc.) so why settle for something that's just fun without the other part?

Edited by Darth Homer

But you're saying that is if what they presented was better. It wasn't. It just makes everything a sloppy goddamn mess. For example, I would have had no idea

the T-Rex was from the original park

if someone hadn't mentioned it here. The movie was literally just throwing shit against a wall and hoping it stuck. This is the poster child for "we will just have a bunch of crazy shit happen on screen". Everyone rags on Michael Bay, but in it's way this movie was just as bad. It just wasn't super-saturated and blitz-edited within an inch of its life. But if you look at characters, story, what's actually happening and why, this is basically one of the lower-tier Transformers movies.

I know I mentioned it last night, but I'll say it again: GODZILLA was a better movie. And I don't think GODZILLA was anything amazing, but at least there was coherence, forethought, setup, and payoff, and at least it understood its characters, even if the human ones were flat and two-dimensional.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie but recognize that it has some issues with characters. Just saying that Godzilla was approximately a million times worse since they chose to focus on the wrong character.

Concerning setup and payoff, there were 2 moments in JW that I felt were the wrong setup or the wrong payoff.

The first was

when the older brother says "You jumped" like it is the culmination of a major story thread. That was a payoff with a missing setup

The second being

when the kids see BDH saving Chris Pratt and then point to Chris Pratt as the guy they want by their side till the end. That was the wrong payoff

Edited by grim22

usually under or maybe slightly above, we are talking Matinees being what Sat early eve was doing, so like a double digit % increase that will reduce if it doesnt reduce under sat then....

WC will probably fail  :P

How's IO doing?

Edited by BEEJAYGRAD11

But, but... There was a ton of un-necessary BS. Just wasted time and energy for things that either weren't followed up well or discarded completely:

the parents, the divorce, the prior relationship with Pratt and BDH, etc.

they took up very little screen time, I could swear that the 3 subplots you mentioned had like 5 minutes of screen time, combined. Neither of them made me think that they were drifting way too much from the focus of the film.

To be fair...

She was irresponsible with the kids. Instead of watching them, she was holding stupid personal conversations on her phone and not paying attention to the kids.

Sure, but

what she got was basically a mega-villain death. It was forced and awkward and harsh to finish her off that way, given her minor "infractions" and minor insignificance overall. Like, if you want to kill her that way, make her a real bitch. Have her undercut BDH, sacrifice the kids to save herself, steal something, etc etc.

• Like 2

To be fair...

Eh, the kids made up their mind they were ditching her regardless. If anything it comes back to irresponsibility on Claire's part for not being with them herself like she promised. Usually those kinds of deaths in these kinds of movies are reserved for the true baddies, even then usually not as extreme. For example, Commander Douchebag got a much less brutal on screen death in the movie.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie but recognize that it has some issues with characters. Just saying that Godzilla was approximately a million times worse since they chose to focus on the wrong character.

Concerning setup and payoff, there were 2 moments in JW that I felt were the wrong setup or the wrong payoff.

The first was

when the older brother says "You jumped" like it is the culmination of a major story thread. That was a payoff with a missing setup

The second being

when the kids see BDH saving Chris Pratt and then point to Chris Pratt as the guy they want by their side till the end. That was the wrong payoff

I'm glad you liked it, grim. :) I know we already disagree about GODZILLA. The movie is filled with moments like those two points you mention. If you're engaged and involved, it doesn't bother you much. If you're not, stuff like that is like death by a million paper cuts.

To be fair...

She was only even responsible for them because Claire pawned them off to her.  This wasn't her burden to bear and they did everything they could to ditch her.

She didn't deserve that.

• Like 3