#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

A $15m Monday would put it around a $12m Thursday. +65, +40, and -30% Fri/Sat/Sun holds is all it would need to equal Avatar's 3rd weekend. But this is all assuming it were to make $15m Monday. $12-13m is probably more likely.

A 15M Monday would lock it for a 3rd weekend over 60M, and thus pretty much lock it to beat Titanic too.

As of right now, I'd say it has better than 50/50 odds of beating Titanic, but I don't think we'll get a huge number like 15 to lock it this early in its run.

Inside Out will be the 2nd film this year locked for a top 250 spot in IMDB, the other being Mad Max Fury Road. Pixar's highest film is currently Wall-E placed at number 63, and Pixar has another 6 entries.

I don't think that movie deaths have to follow a formula... but there's many different things a movie death offers and this one didn't fit well into any, really. (For example, there are two key differences between this and your JAWS example: first off, in JAWS, that death kicks off the whole concept. It establishes the danger and the threat. Secondly, that girl was basically just an extra. We knew nothing about her. An equivalent death in JW would be

the random dude who gets munched by the I-Rex when it first escapes.

The weird thing about the British girl was how oddly specific and capricious it seemed. What was the point of her death? It was way too specific (and too much time spent) to be just another person being wiped out, it seemed over-the-top for a "punishment" (since, as others mentioned, she never really did anything that bad), and it didn't really serve as a stunning shocker because plenty of people had already died. Totally, it just felt weird.

In my opinion, the sequence has a very clear purpose:

That is, to establish the Pterosaur as a truly terrifying animal. It makes it clear to the viewer that these aren't just animals that swoop in and knock people over - they are predators that treat humans like prey. Predatory birds have been known to sometimes attempt to drown their prey before eating them. In this case, whether the woman "deserved" to die or not is irrelevant. Nobody deserves to die. Rather, the scene further establishes dinosaurs, and more specifically the Pterosaur in this fictional world, as truly terrifying creatures. You are supposed to feel squeamish about this scene. It is horrible, and it would be horrible no matter who it is happening to. I thought the scene was really effective in this regard. It is one of the few scenes I felt truly terrified and which exemplified the horror of when things get out of control when humans think they can dominate and control nature for their pleasure.

• Like 1

that sunday # is humongous! i mean, what kind of underestimating?

kinda irritating that all medias go official with the 102 mill estimate, and the real number (maybe 107 mill, or at least above TA´s record and prolly passing 400m sunday) won't get the same media coverage!

poor TA1! well, atleast it gets to hold the record for best 2nd saturday! :P

Pretty sad though that IO dropped from estimates. This one time, I really want rth to be a little wrong. 92.5m is what I would love IO to do.

Obviously people are realizing that it's just a generic rip-off of Herman's Head.

Obviously.

that sunday # is humongous! i mean, what kind of underestimating?

kinda irritating that all medias go official with the 102 mill estimate, and the real number (maybe 107 mill, or at least above TA´s record and prolly passing 400m sunday) won't get the same media coverage!

poor TA1! well, atleast it gets to hold the record for best 2nd saturday! :P

Universal will move some of the money from Sunday over to Saturday so Avengers get's nothing  :ph34r:

• Like 2

Finally at the end of the thread. Lol at people discussing the brutal death. Yeah, it was random but it was also super awesome. Who cares? Ffs. This is why we got Ultron with half of the movie having the heroes saving random stupid civilians. Crazy Sunday for JW. The record is going down, fuck yeah!

• Like 8

Finally at the end of the thread. Lol at people discussing the brutal death. Yeah, it was random but it was also super awesome. Who cares? Ffs. This is why we got Ultron with half of the movie having the heroes saving random stupid civilians. Crazy Sunday for JW. The record is going down, fuck yeah!

I didn't think much about that "brutal" civilian death other than that it was kinda amusing, but it seems like the same people that had big problems with it are the same people that went crazy about the civilian deaths in MOS(and that was actually the least of that movie's problems) which apparently scared Marvel into putting a shitload of in-your-face civilian saving in Age of Ultron.  I think it was a great death now.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

That brutal death in JW was pretty funny lol, I mean it was so underserving I just sat in my seat and chuckled, that's what I want from a Jurassic Park movie, lots of brutal civilian deaths.

• Like 2

It was a great gag.

I just find it so hilarious that people are just as angry about AOU including so much civilian saving as they are about MOS having so much needless destruction and civilian death.

I say to play it safe superhero movies should probably just cut civilians altogether

• Like 1

I say to play it safe superhero movies should probably just cut civilians altogether

Batman vs Superman will take place in virtual reality. That's how Batman wins.

Or better yet, it's all in the X-Men's Danger Room.

• Like 2