#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

I actually thought that moment was awful. Just a terrible and wrong choice by the filmmakers. Completely unwarranted, and the payoff (while cool in a "whoa" way) wasn't remotely justified. It's fine to do something like that, but you've got to set up the character better, otherwise it's just callous and cruel. Made me hate the movie a bit more.

I love JW, but I agree with you. I didn't hate the scene, but it legit shocked me what they did with her character. Unnecessarily cruel.

You guys confuse me, complaining about innocent characters having brutal deaths? What the hell is wrong with that :lol:

Eddie's death in TLW pisses me off because he was like the only likeable person besides Pete Postlethwaite's character and after busting his ass off frantically trying to save a bunch of unlikable characters, he gets ripped in half by 2 Rex's as his reward.

• Like 1

Are we still arguing over Tele's opinion of Jurassic World? Why is his opinion so special? You know what? We're gonna argue over my opinion now...

Uhhh, umm...well I thought Dr. Strangelove was dumb?

Okay, 3, 2, 1, argue!

bennett.gif

• Like 2

Eddie is the worst one. That guy tried so hard to help the others and had a terrible fate. At least in the new one the character in particular was kinda falling down on duty.

But Eddie's death actually had a specific point in the sequence: he was the one rescuing the others and when he died their situation went from bad to worse. His death had a direct, visceral impact on the key characters in the movie.

In JW, none of the was the case. It was basically the death of an extra, with much extra time/effort spent on the brutality of it.

• Like 1

A film doesn't break the OW record and then do another $100 million the 2nd weekend against a $90 million opener without audience approval. The Pirates and TF sequels fell off (at least domestically) once an entry got a bad to lukewarm reception from many.

In both of my showings the audience loved the scene in question.

Yeah! This is unprecedented! 100 million second weekend is crazy awesome! But I don't think the film is any better than those film listed. Just pure fun in my opinion. So maybe "audience approval" was the wrong word because clearly the film is making a connection. What I'm trying to say is that films that aren't masterpieces pull off crazy BO runs. Bad wording, my fault.

I respect your opinion but I don't share it with regards to what you mention. It's also worth noting that these points you mention as positives lean heavily on the original and nostalgia for the original; this movie does no heavy-lifting on its own.

- the T-Rex was absurd. Just an odd way to ape the original and yet completely screw it up at the same time.

- the structure is what you expect, in a macro sort of way: the movie has a beginning, middle, and end, and the park goes haywire as you would expect. It's in many of the little choices and details that it's awkward, slapdash, and many sequences go for the easy setup even though it makes many characters act unbelievably stupidly.

I may be blinded a little by the effect of the original. I seen Jurassic Park on opening day in Kaneohe HI when I was in the NAVY. Wonderful memories of that day may be attacking the Nostalgia of it all for me. However, I will say I enjoyed Jurassic World as it attempted to finally be a sequel than TRY to be.

Heck, I am just happy they returned to ISLA Nublar. FINALLY after 22 fricken YEARS.

Enough of the site "B" bull;, lol

That was enough for my POPCORN MIND

thanks for the feedback TELE.

Edited by Mitch
  • Like 1

I may be blinded a little by the effect of the original. I seen Jurassic Park on opening day in Kaneohe HI when I was in the NAVY. Wonderful memories of that day may be attacking the Nostalgia of it all for me. However, I will say I enjoyed Jurassic World as it attempted to finally be a sequel than TRY to be.

Heck, I am just happy they returned to ISLA NublarcFINALLY after 22 fricekn YEARS.

Enough of the site "B" bull;, lol

That was enough for my POPCORN MIND

thanks for the feedback TELE.

I'm not nearly as invested in the original or the concept so perhaps that's why the nostalgia stuff didn't have a lot of meaning to me.

For some reason I now want a Jurassic World Hunger Games crossover....

A spinoff where they talk Dinosaurs that live in 12 different regions and put them into an arena and let them fight sounds more interesting to me.

A spinoff where they talk Dinosaurs that live in 12 different regions and put them into an arena and let them fight sounds more interesting to me.

Jurassic Hunger Games!

I want this!

I'm not nearly as invested in the original or the concept so perhaps that's why the nostalgia stuff didn't have a lot of meaning to me.

Tele's been burned and jaded ever since STiD messed up Wrath of Khan

So a $105M weekend is possible? That would be a sub-50% drop, which is awesome since no film in the top 20 OW's had a sub-50% drop second weekend. Sure some people will call it cheating because of the Father's Day inflation, but who cares, still an amazing feat for any huge film.