#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

Every Universal movie next summer combined may fail to make what JW will do domestically, let alone JW + Minions + F7 + Ted 2. Bourne 4 (5?) won't outgross Bourne 3 and that'll easily be their biggest film.
Eh, with Greengrass/Damon coming back I wouldn't write that off yet

The fact that we live in such a 'now' culture, that is evident in the popularity of 7pm and 10pm Thursday and former midnights, and JW STILL has the level of demand it has is truly astonishing.  This for me is the most surprising run of the last 5, maybe 10 years.  Maybe American Sniper surprised me as much as this, but still.  I think what has taken me so aback by its performance is that it didn't FEEL that big, prior to opening.  The Marvel Universe, Dead Man's Chest, Harry Potter, those always felt big.  But I've been active on these forums (from BOM) for the past 12 years and I had NO idea that JW was going to do what it did.  The trailers, while effective, didn't seem game changing to me.  And while I have loved Pratt since his The OC/Parks and Rec days, it felt like he and Bryce were cheap options to headline a series with a questionable future.  I think it will be quite a while before a run shocks me the way it has.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 3

The fact that we live in such a 'now' culture, that is evident in the popularity of 7pm and 10pm Thursday and former midnights, and JW STILL has the level of demand it has is truly astonishing.  This for me is the most surprising run of the last 5 years.  Maybe American Sniper surprised me as much as this, but still.  I think what has taken me so aback by its performance is that it didn't FEEL that big, prior to opening.  The Marvel Universe, Dead Man's Chest, Harry Potter, those always felt big.  But I've been active on these forums (from BOM) for the past 12 years and I had NO idea that JW was going to do what it did.  The trailers, while effective, didn't seem game changing to me.  I think it will be quite a while before a run shocks me the way it has.

I've only been following the BO since I wanted to see TS3 succeed in 2010, but I agree. The only other good run I can remember is TA1 reaching over $600M, which was probably at roughly the same level as TDK. JW has a shot at beating TA1, and if it does, it will arguably be the greatest BO run of all time.

• Like 1

Also those underestimating Ted 2 will be in for a massive surprise next weekend. Adults haven't had anything since Mad Max a month ago to watch and there has been no R-rated comedy since Get Hard in March. Lack of selection for certain demo = big breakout for next movie to come out catering to that demo. 60-70m OW for Ted 2 easy.

Um, SPY?

• Like 1

I've only been following the BO since I wanted to see TS3 succeed in 2010, but I agree. The only other good run I can remember is TA1 reaching over $600M, which was probably at roughly the same level as TDK. JW has a shot at beating TA1, and if it does, it will arguably be the greatest BO run of all time.

greatest BO run of all time? really?

• Like 1

I put the word "arguably" there for a reason.

well, this is when AVATAR started kicking in. Monday will be the last day of the records. Avatar kicks in

Great opening run though!!

Gonna take a quick nap...hope I come back to see both films in the 30's. Regardless of what film you're rooting for just know that we all win when the box-office is on fire like it has been the past 2 weekends.

Edited by Bishop54
  • Like 1

I was sort of ambivalent toward Pixels at first, but since the nba finals I've grown sick of seeing it.

You mean Anthony Davis going one on one with Donkey Kong wasn't enticing?

• Like 1

Speaking of which, bet Dory predicts are going to skyrocket now

I orignally said $500, but im reversing that. Im not even calling $400 at the moment either. $375 until I see some material.