#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

That sounds like an impossible movie because great characters shouldn't be boring to watch by default.

Yeah how the fuck is a movie with interesting characters ever going to be boring? The things they say and their reactions to situations are what make them great, hence tight storytelling.

That's why I hated JW tbh.

SW: TFA will follow JW.

Did we all already forget the discussion on the what went right thread? JW did well because

JW -- SW

Nostalgia! -- SW has that.

Adult fans of original bring their kids! -- SW has that.

Music from John Williams -- SW has that, JW doesn't ish.

Steven Speilberg connection -- George Lucas connection.

Superhero fatigue -- SW is not a superhero movie.

There's no way you can say this film has no shot for breaking out especially since JW did.

The Winter might hurt Star Wars then again I would love to be proven wrong. Don't get me wrong SW will make its money I just don't think it will break records.

I'm sorry what? There was definitely scenes with the John Williams music. The marketing even played up the theme.

I know. I added the "ish" part, didn't I? Michael Giacchino is credited as the composer of the new score with some John Williams stuff. John Williams will be composing all the new stuff for SW: TFA.

The Winter might hurt Star Wars then again I would love to be proven wrong. Don't get me wrong SW will make its money I just don't think it will break records.

fair. :)

Edited by passerby

It's a shame you can't see what the rest of us do. It's as fun of a summer action movie as I've seen in years.

Really?! I agree that it's entertaining, but, to be honest, I felt the same way about it as I did AoU - it felt stale, nothing fresh, still fun, but instantly forgettable and unnecessary, even from a "mindless, entertaining movie" point of view. Eh...whatever.

Really?! I agree that it's entertaining, but, to be honest, I felt the same way about it as I did AoU - it felt stale, nothing fresh, still fun, but instantly forgettable and unnecessary, even from a "mindless, entertaining movie" point of view. Eh...whatever.

Age of Ultron rehashes the first movie's third act. JP4 is at least different from the third acts of the previous movies and it delivers a very satisfying conclusion. There is a reason audiences are responding to it even if you didn't.

• Like 3

WAT? Please, JW is 10 times better than AoU. 

• Like 4

Age of Ultron rehashes the first movie's third act. JP4 is at least different from the third acts of the previous movies and it delivers a very satisfying conclusion. There is a reason audiences are responding to it even if you didn't.

Plus spending half of the movie saving FUCKING CIVILIANS. Jeez. I couldn't believe it. 

• Like 4

I know. I added the "ish" part, didn't I? Michael Giacchino is credited as the composer of the new score with some John Williams stuff. John Williams will be composing all the new stuff for SW: TFA.

Ah, fair enough. I do agree with the rest of your points. Also 

Don't underestimate Star Wars fans. 

Jurassic World has terrific characters but the action is what makes it so fucking amazing.

As someone who enjoyed it, the characters sucked. But the movie doesn't really make you spend too much time with any of the characters and just gives us awesome dino shit so the flaw can mostly ignored.

I'm assuming $33 million Fri for IO... I think this might go against the grain. $33.5 million Sat, $30 million Sun. $96.5 million OW on its way to anything from a 4x to a 5x. $385m-$480 million DOM is my range for this. I think it'll have breathtaking WOM. 

Jurassic World has terrific characters but the action is what makes it so fucking amazing.

The best thing about movies like JW, TA, etc., is that they are fun action packed movies that aren't trying to be anything but what they are. Fun popcorn movies that entertain. I think that is why they do so well at the BO.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the lead actors for sure. Pratt is turning into a legit leading man right before our eyes. Howard was surprisingly good. And gorgeous as hell when she ends up in the tank top.

I even enjoyed the military bad guy as over the top as he was. Felt the actor did a good job in that role.

• Like 3

I'd rather watch a film like JW or Transformers or Armageddon 5x than most movies even twice. I like being entertained. Those movies entertain.

• Like 3

That sounds like an impossible movie because great characters shouldn't be boring to watch by default. 

I assume these movies with high RT scores have great characterization (otherwise they wouldn't have such high scores in the first place); Boyhood, Gravity, Still Alice, Ex Machina, yet they're all boring. People keep saying Godzilla has crappy human characters yet it's one of my favourite movies last year.

It's the engaging story/concept that draw me in, more than the characters.

Edited by KATCH 22
  • Like 1