#ED

Weekend Actuals: Inside Out - 90.44M | Jurassic World - 106.59M

The hell?

SAN ANDREAS is going to gross more than MAD MAX: FURY ROAD. That's depressing. I hope The Rock sleeps well at night knowing that.

— Exhibitor Relations (@ERCboxoffice) June 22, 2015
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mad Travor is running ERC now.

• Like 2

Seems the JP1/JP4 release date should be more popular for tentpoles. You get some summer weekday boost plus you have Father's Day to help the second weekend. I bet it will become a more popular release date going forward.

Early/Mid June was hot shit for a while.  The Burton/Schumacher Batman films, Hulk, Tomb Raider, Ghostbusters, Dick Tracy, Speed, The Rock, Austin Powers, Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

I think what happened was 4th of July tentpoles started creeping out into late June and started squeezing all the tentpoles out of the middle of June.  Mid July (the Nolan/Potter slot) started becoming a lot more popular as a result.

Early/Mid June was hot shit for a while.  The Burton/Schumacher Batman films, Hulk, Tomb Raider, Ghostbusters, Dick Tracy, Speed, The Rock, Austin Powers, Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

I think what happened was 4th of July tentpoles started creeping out into late June and started squeezing all the tentpoles out of the middle of June.  Mid July (the Nolan/Potter slot) started becoming a lot more popular as a result.

Yeah, JP4 is set up for a great run. July weekdays have even more kids out of school than June, plus double features with Minions at the drive in will boost it even more. That's why I think Johnny is pretty close to right when he says 650 is a done deal.

It's gonna drop over 50% next weekend since it won't have father's day.

Usually, I'd agree. But, honestly, even sans Father's Day, it grosses $100M+ this past weekend after the preceding weekdays swallowed up nearly $90M of demand. I don't buy it... This movie's a different animal. Dr. Wu. engineered a box office hybrid. A freakish, mutant earner. Most expected less than $100M going into the past weekend and it easily trumped that.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

Phenomenal weekend number for JW. After it pulled in 87M weekdays, to pull a 106.6M weekend is just beyond belief and that's not even factoring Inside Out making 90M+. 600M is locked with very good shot at Titanic's 650M+. The greatest run since Avatar and if it continues to hold great, it could potentially dethrone even Avatar, unfucking believable.

i'm surprised that no one's made a club for JW over Avatar (first run) yet, which i think at this point isn't completely unreasonable.  JW will almost certainly hit 500M or very close in 17 days (another unbelievable record) and 600M in one month.  i can't see JW pulling less than million dollar weekdays until August where it might still have 50M in the tank.  Avengers and Titanic are going down.

• Like 1

So all you people that were complaining about Ted 2 having the weekend all to itself...how do you feel now? Ted 2, IO, and JW all have shots at 55+, but even 60+ is in play for all 3 next weekend. 

The holdovers will basically be openers. You can't just look at the calendar and how many movies are coming out, you have to look at the movie and its potential box office.

• Like 3