Mojoguy

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals: IO 29.77, JW 29.24, TG 27.02, | IO Wins Weekend!

Huge numbers for that WWC match. It absolutely crushed the NBA finals, for example.

Wonder how advertisers and the broadcasters feel about football. They cannot break for ads when the action is ongoing, and most people probably flip channels during the break.

Hulk smash. :bravo:

Even though Jurassic World is not exactly great (I enjoyed it, but it had issues), I absolutely LOVE how much Devin and Co at his site are having meltdowns over the box office it is pulling in. Makes me root for the movie a hell of a lot.

• Like 3

Even though Jurassic World is not exactly great (I enjoyed it, but it had issues), I absolutely LOVE how much Devin and Co at his site are having meltdowns over the box office it is pulling in. Makes me root for the movie a hell of a lot.

It's not much of a meltdown by Hulk. He just saw the movie, that's all.

• Like 1

It's not much of a meltdown by Hulk. He just saw the movie, that's all.

"BUT HULK'S SEVERITY WITH THE FILM'S IDENTITY ALSO MEANS THAT PEOPLE ARE SO QUICK TO FEEL OFFENDED BY HULK'S STATEMENTS, AS IF HULK IS TALKING ABOUT THEM AND NOT THE MOVIE IN AND OF ITSELF. IT'S ALL PART OF A LARGER PROBLEM ABOUT HOW WE HAVE TO STOP INTERNALIZING FILM DISCUSSION IN GENERAL."

I do love Hulk, even when I disagree with his assessments on certain films.

Edit: And, when I quote that I do so because it applies to me more often than I'd like to admit. Hell, it applies to all of us. If you love a piece of filmmaking, it's easier said than done to avoid internalizing said admiration. It's part of being passionate about a medium. But, nonetheless, it's very sound advice. I feel I've gotten better as I've grown older in avoiding doing so. It's also why - no offense to the younger, aspiring, intelligent film lovers here - I'm often more intrigued by the critical opinions of the slightly older cinema viewers here. I need to work on that as well because it's simply a bias rooted in how much I internalized films when I was young in comparison to how much less I internalize them now.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 5

IO missed the MBFGW record... :angry:

Kind of appropriate though. When I think of non-#1 movies, a $90m opener doesn't really come to mind. Greek Wedding made $241m with its highest weekend at $11.1m and that was 20 weeks into its run. Pretty amazing stuff. Will be interesting to see how much longer that record holds. If 461 theaters didn't drop JP4 this past weekend, Inside Out would have taken the record. Greek Wedding got lucky in that regard, lol.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 3

Kind of appropriate though. When I think of non-#1 movies, a $90m opener doesn't really come to mind. Greek Wedding made $241m with its highest weekend at $11.1m and that was 20 weeks into its run. Pretty amazing stuff. Will be interesting to see how much longer that record holds. If 461 theaters didn't drop JP4 this past weekend, Inside Out would have taken the record. Greek Wedding got lucky in that regard, lol.

I don't understand the hate for MBFGW. Sure, it didn't endure in the cultural consciousness, but it earned that record by starting small and then building and building to #2 in weekend 20. That was astounding even in 2002. It was a perpetual-motion-machine of WOM.

And yet people hate on the movie now. It's almost like the Ally McBeal of cinema, seemingly nobody on the Internet will admit that they liked it back then, or that its popularity back then was legitimate.

• Like 4