#ED

Wednesday Actuals: IO - 5M, JW - 3.7M

I was reading through the Avatar thread on KJ and based on daily comparisons, Avatar crossed 600M roughly at the same time in its run as Titanic crossed 300M. Titanic earned more than half its money after almost 3 months in release. Crazy crazy run.

I remember I predicted $250M to $300M when I first saw Titanic. Never dreamt it would do that many tickets.

What is it about this movie? I don't think the romance is the only thing. Or that Celine Dion's song.

Titanic is about watching hundreds of people drowned in slow motion.

Edited by zackzack

The media did explain adjustment when The Dark Knight was breaking records, when The Avengers was breaking records, and they've explained it as Jurassic World has been breaking records. We just heard about it more with Avatar because that movie broke the all-time gross record. If something beats Avatar someday, they'll talk about it again.

I remembered reading about Titanic in some article about upcoming disaster movies or something (this was when Hard Rain still had the working title "Flash Flood"). I remembered seeing either the teaser poster or a big four-sided column standee that had the title "sinking", with a summer date. I remember hearing about it being delayed. I remember hearing it could flop. I remember hearing about it being 3 hours. And I remember being surprised it was a romance, I had somehow thought it was going to be in line with Twister and ID4 and stuff and be all about the sinking. I was just a kid, I had no idea how well this was going to do, I knew little about gross, but I was definitely aware how huge it was as it built and built.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

I remember I predicted $250M to $300M when I first saw Titanic. Never dreamt it would do that many tickets.

What is it about this movie? I don't think the romance is the only thing. Or that Celine Dion's song.

If you watch Titanic in reverse, it is a movie about people emerging from the sea and putting together the most luxurious cruise liner in history.

• Like 2

It's a whole lot of things mixed together. The historical popularity of the Titanic disaster helped. The love story helped. The incredible action in the third act of the film helped. The music helped. Cameron and company (RIP Mr. Horner) made a movie that appealed to people of all ages.

How's the buzz for The Gallows in USA?

Seems it will be another $13/$30m horror movie. :/

Maybe even worse. Less than $20M.

Purge is the more innovative horror/thriller series now that Paranormal Activity and its counterfeit like The Gallows have run their course. 

T2 adjusted for inflation, 3D, and IMAX/PLF = $440m. T5 will end up around 22% of the admissions, lol.

Just so damn idiotic to compare the 2. T2 was a milestone in movie history with the effects and had and so many other things. It was also the first Terminator after T1 in 84. You haters are pathetic

Edited by mredman

Just so damn idiotic to compare the 2. T2 was a milestone in movie history with the effects and had and so many other things. It was also the first Terminator after T1 in 84. You haters are pathetic

I love Terminator. I think it should have been left alone after the second movie.

• Like 4

T2 at that time was something no one pictured could happen. Imagine in 1991 no internet no IMDB, all we had was magazines like Fangoria(yes they talked about T2 like crazy) or ET(Entertainment Tonight) to tell us what was new. Or for critics instead of Rotten Tomatoes there were Siskel & Ebert for our reviews. Anyway I'm getting off topic sorry but for something like T2 for it's R rating and how the R rating was back in 1991 there was no American Sniper or Passion Of The Christ like gross(unless you consider Beverly Hills Cop among the few), and with Arnold having a so-so track record it was hard to imagine this getting 204 million like it did.

• Like 2

So-so track record? Arnold had just been in two movies that together combined to T2's gross, Total Recall and Kindergarten Cop. He was on the upswing at the time.

T2 outdid expectations, but it must have been expected to be a hit regardless. (Anybody old enough to remember, going into summer 1991, was T2 expected to win the summer from the get-go, or was Robin Hood?)

Edited by TServo2049

So-so track record? Arnold had just been in two movies that together combined to T2's gross, Total Recall and Kindergarten Cop. He was on the upswing at the time.

T2 outdid expectations, but it must have been expected to be a hit regardless. (Anybody old enough to remember, going into summer 1991, was T2 expected to win the summer from the get-go, or was Robin Hood?)

I was too young to follow that kind of stuff, but even as a 5 year old I was pumped to see T2. I also remember seeing Robin Hood. Had plenty of toys from both, but T2 definitely was a bigger deal for me (dressed up as Terminator for Halloween).

ah man I forgot Total Recall made close to 120 million domestic. I was thinking of his 80's box office.
  • Like 1