#ED

Wednesday Actuals: IO - 5M, JW - 3.7M

I'll be honest here and say that the whole Minions thing isn't just about Pixar fanboyism and it making "more money than IO" (although I'd be lying if I said I didn't take issue with it), it's also the fact that it will dwarf both DM and DM2, both films which are vastly superior, funnier and have a lot more heart and more than ANYTHING else: entertaining. Yes, DM2 has a mess of a plot, but it's very funny and sweet.

Minions is just lifeless at many points, and is just all-around forgettable. This is basically "Shrek the Third" all over again, but with the added bonus of audiences most likely willing to be much more forigiving due to this being a spinoff/prequel. Another lazy film making a shitload of money not by its own merits, but by the goodwill from the better films that preceded it. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said before, without Gru and his redemption through his relationship with his adopted daughters, I don't know how this spin-off could top the first 2 movies. If it does, then all those big numbers from the first 2 movies are solely coming from the antics of the Minions.

What I heard, this spin-off is full of action and slapstick comedy, and the story is more comic-book like or James Bond-ish (some egotistical villain trying to rule). But it's nice to see the royal Queen gets drunk in a bar after losing her crown to Sandra "Bollock."

Please take this with a grain of salt, as I have not see the movie, but to me, the inherent problem is similar to the one with the Penguins of Madagascar. The Minions are fantastic as background characters, with moments of brilliance, stealing the show in a larger story, NOT driven by them. I just don't see how a movie starring them could be anything than a mild puerile distraction at best.

As I said, I could very well be wrong, but that is my pre-conceived opinion.   :P Still will be a monstrous hit anyway, though.

Hmm? Any guesses how much Minions could do OD? :huh:

There has never been an animated film with over $50M OD. Cause the highest OD for an animated film is TS3 with $41M.

And as much as I love Pixar like anyone else....i have to admit that their "#1 Animated Grosser DOM" streak, can be a bit overrated at times. I mean, Pixar won 5 years in a row from 2008-2012. Can't they let someone else win for a change?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

Pixar loonies are so fragile. Anything not Pixar that has a chance at d ethroning causes widespread panic.

Jaws loonies are so fragile. Anything bad that was said about it causes widespread panic.

(Not defending Pixar tho. Just thought that's pretty funny) :P

Edited by vc2002

Keep in mind the country was a fraction of its current population when GWTW was released. Also keep in mind that constant moviegoing was infused with American culture, which kinda stopped in the 50s for a variety of reasons (particularly other forms of entertainment like TV) and we've never been able to come back to.

On that note...

IO 5 JW 3.65 Mike 2.7 TS 2.65 Ted 2 1.75

IO 5, JP4 3.7, TG/MM2 2.7

:o

BY the time all the American reviews are in Minions is likely going to be very close to the 60% mark on RT imo.

it's avg rating isn't that high - only 6.2/10 and has been dropping. At one time it had 32 positive to 10 negative reviews (76% - mostly foreign) - the American reviews are running about 55/45 positive, but fairly tepid positive - as shown by the average.

All that doesn't matter as it is going to open really big - but i'm interestsed to see how its weeks 2 and 3 are. How are the legs. MY kids want to see it so either my wife or i will have to see it - or maybe we just send the older one with the younger one - but if the quality isn't strong it might affect legs. The initial viewing decision is usually based on the chld, multiple viewings often require it to be strong enough that the parent wants to go back to see it.

Much like Cars 2 the whole purpose of this movie is a toy grab. They've admitted they have released it when they have to try to maximize toy sales. Disney made over $1B in toy sales off of Cars 2, I suspect a similar number is likely for Minion toys.

IO is certainly going to be hit some by it, but i doubt Disney is overly worried. IO will pass MU on Friday and will pass MI and Up next week moving up to third among Pixar movies. I'd place a large wager that given the bigger than expected success of IO that they will have emotion figures for Disney Infinity 3.0 by Christmas.

Edited by RamblinRed

The much better received SpongeBob (2015) had a multiplier of 2.95. This one will have more front-loading due to the huge ow and meh'ness.

However, 130*2.7 takes it past 350m. So gonna be a mega win anyway.

The much better received SpongeBob (2015) had a multiplier of 2.95. This one will have more front-loading due to the huge ow and meh'ness.

However, 130*2.7 takes it past 350m. So gonna be a mega win anyway.

One question is.....how will DM3 (which is getting released in 2017) do? That feels more like a direct sequel to DM2.

Jaws loonies are so fragile. Anything bad that was said about it causes widespread panic.

Nothing bad is ever said about Jaws.

(Not defending Pixar tho. Just thought that's pretty funny) :P