CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Can someone explain to me the appeal of drive in cinema? I don't understand why you would choose to watch a movie through a car window, plus when you're outside the sound isn't going to be anywhere near as good as a dedicated cinema screen. We don't have this phenomenon in my country so I don't think I quite understand it.

Drive-ins are amazing! You get to watch two movies for the price of one, and sit outside under the pretty stars. You use your own sound system, you just have to turn it to a specific radio station, you can bring whatever food you want and whatever kind of seating you want.

The only downside is you get mauled by mosquitoes

• Like 2

I'm not sure 100 or 200k will make that much of difference towards 350M.

What do you mean $100-200k? Gopher reported $4.9m and we ended up $460,000 above that. Similar stuff will happen Saturday/Sunday too. Every bit counts at this point of the movie's run to help it reach $350m.

Can someone explain to me the appeal of drive in cinema? I don't understand why you would choose to watch a movie through a car window, plus when you're outside the sound isn't going to be anywhere near as good as a dedicated cinema screen. We don't have this phenomenon in my country so I don't think I quite understand it.

Drive ins are well off their peak, I'm glad though surprised they haven't completely died out, but they were cheaper for families (no need to hire a babysitter) and once upon a time they were a massive hang out for teens. I don't know how it goes now but some places charged by the car and if they weren't strict about checking the car, you could cram a few extra people in the trunk and see a movie for cheap (if you've ever seen Grease there's an instance of this during the drive-in scene). Also, if the drive-in wasn't *ahem* vigilant about security, they provided one of the better make-out/hookup opportunities a teen couple ever had. And some actually like watching a movie under the stars.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

As per your question Panda. Gopher said that minions was forged by 400k. So now everybody is on the fudge bandwagon.

400K? Wow. Universal. They should be a shame of themselves.

400K?

400K???

Who cares?

• Like 4

See, this is what I hate about some of you. It was so wrong when JW got fudged, everyone was saying how stupid and ridiculous it was, but now everyone is happy because IO also was affected by the same fudging. For fucks sake. 

• Like 6

See, this is what I hate about some of you. It was so wrong when JW got fudged, everyone was saying how stupid and ridiculous it was, but now everyone is happy because IO also was affected by the same fudging. For fucks sake.

And don't even mention TF4 :rotfl:

Drive-ins are amazing! You get to watch two movies for the price of one, and sit outside under the pretty stars. You use your own sound system, you just have to turn it to a specific radio station, you can bring whatever food you want and whatever kind of seating you want.

The only downside is you get mauled by mosquitoes

There's many downsides. How about when people decide to leave after the first film and you can't hear the movie because of engine noise and tires on gravel. Oh and distracting headlights and taillights. 

Oh okay, if it's much cheaper than I understand why you'd pay less for a lower quality experience. I didn't realise that, thanks.

Inside Out/Minions drive-in double feature near me is $8 for both movies combined. Each movie in the regular theaters nearby is $10 for a 2D night show. So $8 vs. $20 is saving people a bunch on the cost of seeing both movies. I can see how that appeals to people who are on a tight budget.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

I only get jealous when there's not enough fudge to go around :)

Note guys that Minions wasn't given any kind of boost, its number is perfectly in line with its performance yesterday, JW/IO with my estimations weren't.

• Like 2

There's many downsides. How about when people decide to leave after the first film and you can't hear the movie because of engine noise and tires on gravel. Oh and distracting headlights and taillights.

There is like a 20 minute break between movies... Also you're not in all that close of proximity to people who aren't the people you came with