CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

I thought Minions were tracking to 100-110M... Some people (and other non-human entities khm khm) are sure trying hard to play down the 2nd highest animation opening ever. I don't get it.

People downplayed the 2nd biggest opening weekend ever too. Lower than expected or not it achieved that. It is to be expected here.

• Like 1

There are too many people here who think that just because a film doesn't hit what they predicted it to, then it is a disappointment.  

• Like 7

Legs for Minions will be decent to strong. There's nothing there to suggest it won't have them. It's really liked by audiences, there's nothing new & big for kids opening in some weeks, July weekdays will help, animation almost always have solid holds, both DM films have had great legs in the past...

Even Shrek3 managed to have decent legs.

• Like 1

There are too many people here who think that just because a film doesn't hit what they predicted it to, then it is a disappointment.  

I remember some here were also disappointed with TS3 opening and its second weekend.

If it's not a record, then it's a failure.

• Like 1

Legs for Minions will be decent to strong. There's nothing there to suggest it won't have them. It's really liked by audiences, there's nothing new & big for kids opening in some weeks, July weekdays will help, animation almost always have solid holds, both DM films have had great legs in the past...

It's just the populace here.  They expect all animated films to be written by William Shakespeare and appeal to adults.  God forbid a kids film is just aimed for kids.  

• Like 3

If international markets are any indications Minions is going to have a nice, leggy run. There hasn't been a single market where Minions had bad weekly drops. It has held well so far, everywhere.

Edited by KATCH 22
  • Like 5

Minions will have decent legs. I think 2.9-3.2x.

Shrek 3's multiplier was 2.63x. That's bad for an animation. Cars 2 was 2.89x and in 2014, 2015 only one 50m+ animation has fallen below 3x (Book of Life at 2.96x).

Edited by a2k

Minions will have decent legs. I think 2.9-3.2x.

Shrek 3's multiplier was 2.63x. That's bad for an animation. Cars 2 was 2.89x and in 2014, 2015 only one 50m+ animation has fallen below 3x (Book of Life at 2.96x).

I would say around 3.1 or 3 seems about right, which brings it to 116 x 3 = 348 million or 116 x 3.1 = 359.

(Am predicting 360). 

Edited by MinaTakla

It's just the populace here. They expect all animated films to be written by William Shakespeare and appeal to adults. God forbid a kids film is just aimed for kids.

I'm fine with simple kids flicks as long as they don't dominate and control the market. IO has shown that both can co-exist still, and for that I'm happy. Obviously I have my biases, but at the end of the day both sides won in this case, pretty safe to say.

I thought that crowds would be turned off by Minions as I thought it was duller than DM1 and DM2, but looks like it'll be just fine.