CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

I think the trend may actually be toward hiring "geek directors". They are usually white guys in their mid-30s (but not always that young). For sci-fantasy-superhero-comic stuff, they could think "geeks" will do a better job? Favreau, Whedon, Abrams, Snyder, Gunn, Edwards, Johnson, Trank, Vaughn, Trevorrow, Edgar Wright initially being on Ant-Man, they all seem to fit this template where maybe they're considered as being "geeky" enough to be handed the keys to these kinds of franchises and enjoy working on them?

Edited by TServo2049

The reason Spy did $100m with a $30m OW is because of the good WOM and rave reviews.

McCarthy's movies always have great legs though. Identity Thief, Tammy and The Heat all had great legs regardless of reviews. Her audience doesn't seem to rush out in OW rather taking their time to watch the movie when they can.

Both will inevitably happen and I want this moment to last as long as possible :P Star Wars not meeting expectations is next. Yep, I'm evil.

I am all ready 1-0 against you this year with Fifty Shades. Remember when you said it would 100% have an over 100M OW. :lol:

OW has a chance, but highest grossing DOM Animated Movie won't happen.

Also, I can't wait till SW7 comes out makes huge money and shuts you up. :P

• Like 2

This one has less story than the previous 2 DM movies. Lotsa action and goofy stuff, but we shall see whether Minions alone is enough to go beyond DM2's $368M. Universal has another $1B WW grosser here? !!!

They did n't have a single 100 OW or 1B WW (Original run) movies till this spring. This is turning out to be the best year a studio can hope for,

• Like 1

They did n't have a single 100 OW or 1B WW (Original run) movies till this spring. This is turning out to be the best year a studio can hope for,

How will their books compare next year? Even if it's good there ought to be a decent drop.

How will their books compare next year? Even if it's good there ought to be a decent drop.

It will drop atleast by 40%. But they don't have any battleship of Cowboys vs Aliens coming up, that is a good sign.

2017 is again big for them.

• Like 1