CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Because Toy Story and Finding Nemo are the holy grails of Pixar when considering popularity the Incredibles is also popular but its not as popular or recognized as Nemo/TS. Though it is a little more warranted than MU, so 90M is definitely game

Ok.

Why everyone says IO gets a good number? That drop is bigger than MU's when DM2 opens.

IO's sat will go up. Considering that last weekend it's sat was down from fri, it's overall weekend drop is going be 10-15% better than MU.

MU was in the opposite direction...it was going from a normal sat to a july 1st week sat. so it's weekend drop was bigger than it would have been if the sat drop was normal.

Spectre - I adapted the musical in your avatar for the stage last year.  :)

I really want to try to adapt Inside Out into a stage show, if I had the resources for such an endeavor. I think there could be a lot of interesting done with dual stages; like always having Riley on a certain part of stage, while we see inside her head on another part. IDK the logistics, but I want to try it.

• Like 2

I know this sounds crazy since the record is still standing 8 years later, but Shrek the Turd's opening was a bit of a letdown and a lot of people expected to hit 130+ for the opening based on SM3's 150+ number and the insane stuff that Shrek 2 accomplished with smaller ticket prices a few years earlier. I think there were 140+ numbers being thrown around on BOM too.

Lol. High box office expectations always have and always will be a thing.

Never change boxoffice.com....

(Then again I predicted Minions would take the record so...)

Lol. High box office expectations always have and always will be a thing.

Never change boxoffice.com....

(Then again I predicted Minions would take the record so...)

But I mean when you look at Shrek 2's performance compared to SM1/SM2, there was plenty of reason for people to think it could sell a similar number of tickets to SM3 which would have meant an opening north of $135m (the difference being more adult tickets for SM3). It wasn't crazy at all to expect that kind of opening.

Because Toy Story and Finding Nemo are the holy grails of Pixar when considering popularity the Incredibles is also popular but its not as popular or recognized as Nemo/TS. Though it is a little more warranted than MU, so 90M is definitely game

Lol $90 million is locked, if it's remotely well-done. MU is something no one asked for and Disney got it to $82 million. You think Incredibles 2 will miss $100 million+ OW in a summer release date? It's the ONE sequel everyone's been asking Pixar to do since the mid-2000s. 

$110-120 million OW should happen if it's a good movie. Less tickets than TS3, so I'm not expecting anything insane. 

NEMO the holy grail? I'm not sure anyone other than you would say that.

In terms of popularity, Nemo is up there with Lion King in terms of Pixar releases. Not in quality  :P but only the Toy Story trilogy equals Nemo's GA appeal. Possibly IO if it gets to $375-380 million DOM. 

It sold 40m+ DVDs and I think it or the first Shrek have sold the most DVDs/BRs of all-time. 

I do think he's being harsh on Incredibles 2. $100 million+ OW is happening - especially if Bird returns to form and gives up a solid follow-up. 

The Despicable Me franchise is the Shrek franchise of the 2010's. They're pretty similar.

I'd agree with this, actually; plus, it gives me hope for the future ;)

Can't blame the GA. Most mainstream horror is garbage.

Minions doing well goes against this axiom.

That is a big ass banana for Minions.

And that is one legendary meltdown by Blanks. I guess if he lived over here and see the massive animation turds that are put in theaters he would kill himself.

But do those do well financially? That's only reason I'm freaking out over this and I won't be in August when Underdogs releases, even though Underdogs is certainly a worse film.

$46.2m for Minions...Shrek The Third is finally going DOWN.

Though only by a few million and solely because of 3D. 

Amazing how it's still the number 1 in admissions after 8 years.

Don't forget: SIX MORE HOURS

Not bad for Jurassic at all. Well above the Rth/Gopher reports. Excellent.

Yeah my last update I posted was from what I thought early eve, I did have update later that didn't post here, JW/IO 5.1, Minions 45 maybe 46

Oh my god. What ridiculous fudging. Best case scenario projection off of last night still put JW 400k short of that.

The tracking numbers are now way way closer now to the current friday estimate JW/IO ( well actually everything), theres around 200-400 theatres still missing from major titles

When actuals are done say Monday its made up of the Rentrak numbers (audit for discrepancies and they do happen) then there's the theatres Rentrak don't or couldn't get, Distributors chase missing grosses and any they can't get by deadline are then estimated.

Theres always some wriggle room with that missing component a lot less these days then use to be. Auditors will often look at flash GBO vs Actual.

International the tracking companies Rentrak etc ratio of what they get is much higher than Domestic in lot case its pretty much 100% or very close.

And you guys act like no one has ever fudged anything in the history of movies before. And plus you guys aren't taking into account the drive ins with double feature is where the gross goes to both movies.

Yeah like I've said as well time and time again, Double/triple features the total GBO for the program goes to all titles so if its JP4 + Minions and the total is 10k, Minions gets $10k and JP4 gets 10k

If its Minions + IO the same

International does it different, for starters you can't mix studios so you can only have a Universal with another Universal title and Disney with another Disney film etc

In International the main title gets all the GBO so if its Minions + Jp4 and Minions is the new film and classed as main title and the program takes $10k Minions gets $10k and JP4 get $0.

There is a calculation for the film rental part(what theatre pays distributor) where both titles get and amount allocated.

• Like 5

So removing previews, the Friday gross is exactly 40m

40 (6.2)

114, so a ~120m weekend, close to the latest tracking of 124m.

edit: better sat could still put it at 124m or more.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1