#ED

Monday Actuals: Minions 12.9M (-58%)

Tbh it's really exhausting to talk about Minions vs IO when there are so many blind people around here. IO was brilliant, it is well received the public loves it and produces amazing legs, locking 360m. Minions on the other hand is plain boring and will start developing heavy drops after week 3. It will do well until then, but that doesn't mean it has a shot to beat IO. How people can't see it is beyond me. Now I'll be branded as an anti-Minion guy for stating the obvious lol

You can discuss and assert your point without insulting those who think it will cross IO.

• Like 1

LOL, I loved IO and am not even bothering to watch Minions after reading some reviews... but I seriously don't care which one comes out on top.

IO is already a huge success, Minions just had the 2nd best animated opening.... seriously they both win.

• Like 5

Well, boring for adults, because it tries to be too childish.

Yeah..we've seen that before...but that doesn't stop the adult general audience to actually enjoy something.

You know what they say?...General audience will be general audience and....fanboys will be fanboys.

And no...people here, aren't blind. We do know what will happen.

I work in a cinema. Minions killing it with the family crowd no question. But in order to have great legs you need repeat business and broader audience. Minions will exhaust its crowd in three weeks. Minions only shot at winning was IO collapsing this past weekend and that hasn't happened, it's really a no brainer that Pixar will be victorious so looking forward to the OS and WW grosses being frequently mentioned in a domestic thread after the Minions defeat becomes inevitable.

What? Maybe it is plain boring to you, you ever think of that?As for well received by the audience, are you kiddin me? Minions already made more than IO WW, it had incredible drops or openings everywhere. You are the only blind person here. And yeah, it will beat IO DOM. Get over it. The better movie wins. 

To be fair, Minions opened in more countries than IO.

And IO has been holding much better than Minions in Australia.

If Minions holds like Despicable Me 2 every day this week/weekend, it'll do 56m this weekend (-51.6%). I think that's the best case scenario, given DM2 had two extra days of play and Minions will be more inherently frontloaded throughout the week. 

I work in a cinema. Minions killing it with the family crowd no question. But in order to have great legs you need repeat business and broader audience. Minions will exhaust its crowd in three weeks. Minions only shot at winning was IO collapsing this past weekend and that hasn't happened, it's really a no brainer that Pixar will be victorious so looking forward to the OS and WW grosses being frequently mentioned in a domestic thread after the Minions defeat becomes inevitable.

Three weeks? Haha, dream on. Minions has been out for 3 weeks here and families & adults are still flocking to the cinema. It's not even the summer holidays here, kids are still in school.

• Like 3

Minions will do about 275 million domestic if it takes a dive.

That's a multiplier of 2.37. These are the only animations ever that grossed more than 100m and did less than 3x

Spongebob (2015) 2.94x

Cars 2 (2011) 2.89x

Madagascar 2 (2008) 2.85x

Simpsons (2007) 2.46x

Shrek 3 (2007) 2.63x

Edited by a2k

That's a multiplier of 2.37. These are the only animations ever that grossed more than 100m and did less than 3x

Spongebob (2015) 2.94x

Cars 2 (2011) 2.89x

Simpsons (2007) 2.46x

Shrek 3 (2007) 2.63x

Yep. And those were all poorly received or had very specific fanbases.

The theory that IO may could pass the Minions Total DOM is beyond great! IO has shown phenomenal legs as that flick still doing well after the nuclear disaster of the banana's 115m-opener. I think the Minions take crown by total of about 350m-360m, they will be close. For me, going beyond Up's adjusted 330m DOM the goal right now!

Edited by SwedishFailurez

Spongebob (2015) 2.94x

Cars 2 (2011) 2.89x

Simpsons (2007) 2.46x

Shrek 3 (2007) 2.63x

Yep. And those were all poorly received or had very specific fanbases.

There are so many animations releasing in the recent years. It's interesting that you have to go all the way back to Cars 2 in 2011 to find a 50m+ grossing animation (which there are plenty of) below 2.9x.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2