Jump to content
grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | Reviews straddling the fresh-rotten line

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

:thinking: So he tweeted out a very positive reaction even though he intends to give it a negative review?? It's not like he @ed anyone involved with the movie!

This was from his letterboxd. What's the point of giving out positive reactions when you're essentially writing stuff like this:

I don’t like to be negative in social media reactions, and I try to keep them as positive as possible, but the fact that the review embargo lifts the day of its release.... well, you can draw your own conclusions from that. 

Edited by Nova
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

someone excited for aladdin AND sonic. and you people said sonic will flop...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alli said:

someone excited for aladdin AND sonic. and you people said sonic will flop...

 

 

Holy fuck one person is excited!? Stop the presses we’re all frauds now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So basically

 

Critics will likely hate it. It'll at least be the top box office of Memorial Day weekend, might even make good box office overall before making a nice cushy home on home video/Disney Plus, then we fast forward to Lion King making all the money making some people's victory articles about Aladdin causing Disney to stop making remakes mute..

Edited by Yandereprime101189

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alli said:

 

 

English translation:

 

Aladdin is the best live-action disney remake so far and in parts a more convincing "Game of Thrones" than - well - the current season of GoT. Will Smith as the dschinni sweeps all his doubters under the (flying) carpet with his magical performance (meaning: hes excellent).

 

Be warry though, as i personnaly dont like Filmstarts all that much. They tend to either overpraise or be extremely critical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Holy fuck one person is excited!? Stop the presses we’re all frauds now 

look i just found another one..

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AlaDOA

Edited by TMP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here dies my hope on the Jafar we saw being some sort of red herring. RIP seeing a great villain take live action form.

 

There's probably some entertainment to get from Will Smith's genie since he's still got some charm left in his lamp when they let him do his thing, but not expecting a lot more besides that anymore.
Still, it's nice to see they tried to mix things up for the adaptation and for once the changes worked well. I hate it when the best parts are always just carbon copies of what worked before (stares at The Lion King), or when they mess up the changes by making them deviate entirely from the purpose of the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, with remakes like Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and The Lion King, did you really think they would have the balls to change too much of the movie? Of course they're going to be near shot-to-shot, that's sorta the points of these. Many may not understand why Disney is doing this (it's money, it's always money, stop acting dumb when you ask why are they doing this, you know why), but they basically allow people to see these movies in a live action setting. And after how much Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast and Jungle Book made, apparently people outside internet forums want to see these.

 

 

The Lion King is going to end up being the best of these.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How dare you say you need balls to make something original! This is 2019!

obvious joke should be obvious

Edited by WhiteWings
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It be too hard to change these four films too much, people would crucify them on the spot. People screamed Be Prepared wasn't in the Lion King remake for months due to some stupid internet rumor before low and behold, it's in the movie. If that was the case, imagine if they took Part of Your World out of the Little Mermaid remake for real and replaced it with some second rate replacement. People hate remakes on the internet forum, but most people hate change. So yeah, Disney's not going to change much, unless the original film is scant and simple like Jungle Book and Cinderella or the original version just outright failed like Pete's Dragon

 

But then again, when something original (not an adaptation, something wholly original) does comes out, we treat it with disdain, most of the time because said original movie is sometimes WORSE than remakes. Most of the time because said original movies these days try to remake other films for plot elements. Case in point Skyscraper, which is literally Die Hard, of course they say it's an homage, but even homage spice things up. I guess they did with Skyscraper a little because they forgot to give them an interesting villain.

 

I get the feeling that people do want original content, but at the same time, we don't. We're a fickle species, human beings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to see the movie cross $200 million domestically. This is coming off of having predicted $350 million only months ago, but hey, you take what you can get. $200 million is Cinderella numbers so I'll take that for now.

 

Disney desperately needs one in the W column for their live actions. Well, for their Disney Studios period. They've failed to hit $200 domestically since BatB.  Only SW and Marvel have hit $200 million or more in the live action department and the last SW barely did THAT. Lion King will do it but it feels a little too little too late. After that-Mulan in March 2020 and then who knows what and when they might do it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

It be too hard to change these four films too much, people would crucify them on the spot. People screamed Be Prepared wasn't in the Lion King remake for months due to some stupid internet rumor before low and behold, it's in the movie. If that was the case, imagine if they took Part of Your World out of the Little Mermaid remake for real and replaced it with some second rate replacement. People hate remakes on the internet forum, but most people hate change. So yeah, Disney's not going to change much, unless the original film is scant and simple like Jungle Book and Cinderella or the original version just outright failed like Pete's Dragon

 

But then again, when something original (not an adaptation, something wholly original) does comes out, we treat it with disdain, most of the time because said original movie is sometimes WORSE than remakes. Most of the time because said original movies these days try to remake other films for plot elements. Case in point Skyscraper, which is literally Die Hard, of course they say it's an homage, but even homage spice things up. I guess they did with Skyscraper a little because they forgot to give them an interesting villain.

 

I get the feeling that people do want original content, but at the same time, we don't. We're a fickle species, human beings.

Congratulations for hitting the nail on the head, you win no points.

 

Disney's just giving people what they want with these nostalgia-baiting live-action remakes of their greatest hits and that's perfectly fine. Yes, The Lion King will likely make an absurd amount of cash; no, it doing so does not mean cinema is doomed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not like Disney classics weren't based on classic book stories to begin with. They were basically very loose adaptations. Here's wishing they go back to reading books, old and new, for new adaptations ( truly wishful thinking, I know ).

 

Going back to what we know they will release: I hope they don't fuck up Mulan, there's so much potential there...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Congratulations for hitting the nail on the head, you win no points.

 

Disney's just giving people what they want with these nostalgia-baiting live-action remakes of their greatest hits and that's perfectly fine. Yes, The Lion King will likely make an absurd amount of cash; no, it doing so does not mean cinema is doomed.

By all means, I agree with what Disney is doing. If I was making billions of dollars, I'd do shit like this too. Hell, I'm first in line when Lion King comes out. It's my most anticipated of the year (moreso than Endgame was, Frozen 2 is also up there on the list too)  I actively want a James Wan-directed Little Mermaid too.

 

I'm weird. I've very weird. I seem scattershot in my opinions, but I do sorta like the Massive Powerhouse Disney has become.

 

I'd sit through a remake of Disney's Tarzan or Great Mouse Detective before I'd sit through another bad "original" movie like Tomorrowland (they screwed up by making the titular place devoid of almost all life when they finally arrived to it) or first time adaptation like John Carter.

 

To respond to WhiteWings regarding Mulan, yeah, there's a lot of potential with that one. But also a little more compare to the Big Four Disney remakes. Mulan is liked, but it's not quite as beloved as say Beauty and the Beast and Lion King. You can take some more risks with that one. Then again, when it was originally announced there would be no songs, people freaked, and now they're supposed to have songs.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you're in the business of making millions but also spending millions, you have to do what seems to work the best. With budgets being the way they are, you can't risk losing hundreds of millions of dollars on things that just keep failing. That's stupidity. But that is what had been happening for a LONG time with new, fresh live action films (except POTC). So, for a while, the remakes were working really really well. Not they too are starting to fall and fall HARD. What's Disney studios to do? Go back to what they were doing in the 70's and 80's? (which is pretty much nothing at all except nature films).

 

Without Marvel and Pixar, Disney is mostly a struggling studio. Even SW is questionable now and will be moreso after TROS.

  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Disney fan they do exactly what I want them to do, I'm glad to see they know their fans very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jedijake said:

When you're in the business of making millions but also spending millions, you have to do what seems to work the best. With budgets being the way they are, you can't risk losing hundreds of millions of dollars on things that just keep failing. That's stupidity. But that is what had been happening for a LONG time with new, fresh live action films (except POTC). So, for a while, the remakes were working really really well. Not they too are starting to fall and fall HARD. What's Disney studios to do? Go back to what they were doing in the 70's and 80's? (which is pretty much nothing at all except nature films).

 

Without Marvel and Pixar, Disney is mostly a struggling studio. Even SW is questionable now and will be moreso after TROS.

Marvel and Pixar/WDAS  are pretty much going to be doing  most all the heavy lifting very soon ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hades said:

Marvel and Pixar/WDAS  are pretty much going to be doing  most all the heavy lifting very soon ....

They pretty much are now. Pixar hasn't even released a film every single year. WDAS has their one Thanksgiving release each year, most of which have done very well (although only one has hit over $300 million-Frozen). Frozen 2 has a good shot at $500 million domestic.

 

Only one SW film has truly failed. And as long as TROS hits $500 million, nobody's gonna bat an eye about SW

 

As far as new material goes, it's a catch 22 situation. On one hand, people are complaining about the lack of new stuff. On the other hand, studios have to put up the cash and enough of it to make the new stuff quality material. Meanwhile, pretty much EVERY new IP has failed so studios just keep going with remakes, reboots, and sequels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.