WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

Disney didn't market Ant-Man confidently. They went with the "we are aware it sounds silly" angle and added a little bit of self-deprecation. GotG's marketing was very confident and had a "if you think it's silly, we will convert you" vibe.

Disney didn't market Ant-Man confidently. They went with the "we are aware it sounds silly" angle and added a little bit of self-deprecation. GotG's marketing was very confident and had a "if you think it's silly, we will convert you" vibe.

They did have JCR mumbling "This may not be the best idea". But IIRC they downplayed that further into the campaign.

• Like 1

Either way I don't think there was much Marvel could've done to have Ant-Man open in GOTG territory. It's a much smaller-scaled film and there's very little real action until the climax.

True. I thought 70m was reasonable. But below 60m, though profitable and all, is somewhat disappointing.

EDIT: It's good that the movie is getting positive feedback. The character lives and will be welcomed in other films.

Edited by a2k

This opening for Ant-Man proves Marvel was Wrong for letting go of Wright.

His name alone would have added at least 30 million to the opening.

This is of course if you believe crazy Internet fanboys

• Like 3

I meant outside of here, but I'm glad I said that so you could reply with that quote. Now THAT was a great villain.

You know, with all this talk of the Joker in TDK, it occurs to me now that I really haven't seen an honestly great villain in a live-action tentpole film SINCE the Joker. (Granted, I haven't seen everything - e.g., didn't see Skyfall, didn't see Fury Road - but still...)

I guess Bane would be the closest, even though I don't consider him "honestly great." And that points to another unfortunate trend - when a decent villain does come along, and they turn out to just be a puppet/figurehead of another, far lamer villain.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

help me I'm stuck in an argument where someone is insisting this is true:

CYOOa6h.jpg

While I agree there should be a modern update of The Incredible Shrinking Man, people want their superheroes to fly, punch through walls, bigger than human, not smaller.