baumer

Creed highest grossing Rocky club (Yo Adrian, I just missed it)

Creed, the 900th Rocky film, which only features Rocky in a supporting role, has gotten a lot of positive reaction so far to the trailer.  If you read the comments on the you-tube page, the reactions are a lot like ours....a lot of "wow, that looks way better than I thought it would" kind of thing.  

Now, to make more than Rocky IV's 127 mill would take a good opening and some very good legs.  I know this is going to be difficult, but I'm all about the difficult clubs :)

Stallone was once quoted as saying that as long as they let him make Rocky films he will continue to do so because Rocky, no matter what, will always make money.  So far he has been right.  It helps that 5 of the 6 Rocky films have been outstanding works of art and I think this one has the potential to be crowd pleasing and heart wrenching all at the same time.  If the rumours are real, then we might be in for a bucket worth of tears.

Stallone is Rocky, it's his creation, his baby and his alter ego.  Then you have one of the brightest up and coming stars in Michael B. Jordan.  There will be a lot of interest in this.

Rocky Balboa opened to 12 million and grossed 70 million, almost a 6X.  Now this came out at Christmas in 2006 so the multiplier was a bit easier, but I think this one can open with about twice as much and get a 5X.

So I'm saying this will open to 25-30 million and finish with about 128-135.  

Crazy?  Yep.  But so what.  I think this would be a great way to get MBJ into the next stratosphere of stars (no way FF does that for him) and it would be a great way for Stallone to perhaps have one of his last great films.  Not saying he is going to retire after Rambo 5 but at the age of 70, how much more can he do?

Ok, so who's with me?

Eye of the Tiger:

baumer

johnny gossamer

cmaster

gopher

Clubber Lang Pain:

Walt Disney

cjohn

John Marston (90M)

hangman

The Mickey Loves You but can still whack the right side of your face, so on the fence guys

Ethan 

wrathofhan

Easy in. $175M+ DOM TOTAL.

Why so high?  This is the 7th Rocky film.  I'd love for you to be right, but why do you think this?

Easy in. $175M+ DOM TOTAL.

lmao

Before this shit enters the 200M, because it will, can we all agree that a total around what Rocky Balboa did would already be great?

• Like 1

lmao

Before this shit enters the 200M, because it will, can we all agree that a total around what Rocky Balboa did would already be great?

I agree it would be great.

But that's safe.

I like my clubs more like this:

18-crazy-moments-in-the-life-and-career-

• Like 1

lmao

Rocky Balboa adjusted for inflation is about $85M. I think that would be a solid result. I think $100M would be great.

• Like 1

2D OW record and more than Star Wars or bust.

The Sacred Trinity will take care of all that and Avatar in 2016.  B) The OW is gonna be so big that when you take out the money made in 3D shows it will still be bigger than the actual 2D OW  B)  B)  B)

Rocky Balboa adjusted for inflation is about $85M. I think that would be a solid result. I think $100M would be great.

I originally

had this at 100 mill, but where's the fun in that?

• Like 1

No fun at all. I would have been IN if that was where the bar was set.

Exactly, so then I thought of this:

tumblr_n1tjsc5gSa1qems7ao2_500.gif

And the club was born.

I'd say in. This has the potential to expand the audience far beyond Rocky fans. I'm not a particular fan of the franchise (I don't hate it, but I wasn't compelled to see RB or anything), but I'm gonna be there for this opening night. Incredible trailer and MJB appeal to me and I think alot of others. It can do at least what Balboa did and expand the audience further beyond that enough to hit like 135.

• Like 2

Why so high?  This is the 7th Rocky film.  I'd love for you to be right, but why do you think this?

I have faith that Coogler's inspired vision will capture the pathos/nostalgia of young/old and play extremely well leading into the Christmas holiday and New Year. I also think it's excellent counter programming to Spectre, Good Dino, Mockingjay, Star Wars, etc... It's not a mega budget toon or live action blockbuster. I think it opens HUGE for what it is, say $45M+ OW DOM, and cruises over the long holiday season. I think it's going to be really, really well liked.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

I'd say in. This has the potential to expand the audience far beyond Rocky fans. I'm not a particular fan of the franchise (I don't hate it, but I wasn't compelled to see RB or anything), but I'm gonna be there for this opening night. Incredible trailer and MJB appeal to me and I think alot of others. It can do at least what Balboa did and expand the audience further beyond that enough to hit like 135.

I expect this to expand beyond Balboa too. That felt like bullshit when it released. I think people are ready to see someone else fight and I actually believe this one can/will engage a younger demo as well as the older demo that eats, sleeps, drinks Rocky.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2