baumer

Creed highest grossing Rocky club (Yo Adrian, I just missed it)

The hype for this is really much bigger than I think most of us thought it would be.  They're doing basketball and football tie ins now.

I think this is going to happen.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Panda said:

I think it's definitely plausible.  I'm worried because this year has really been "go big or bust" and i don't know if this will apply here too.

WB has a good track record of adult-skewing crowd-pleasers over the last decade (Blind Side, American Sniper)... and with MJ2 underperforming, there's room for Creed and Good Dinosaur to overperform this next week.

With the great reviews and minimal competition (Spectre's 4th weekend of $10-13 million... Spotlight doing $6-8 million possibly.... Martian/BoS combining for $4.5-5 million) , Creed ought to be able to do at least $30 million 5-day. I'm thinking $45-55 million - the box office is due for another breakout hit. 

I am thinking this could indeed happen. Both Spectre and MJ2 have underperformed this month, meaning there is still room for something to surprise breakout. Obviously it will be this if it's anything. And the excellent early reviews are promising for WOM. This is also one of the few films I don't think SW would have much of an effect on for late legs. What the hell, I'm IN! 

• Like 3

On 11/22/2015, 10:14:38, MovieMan89 said:

I am thinking this could indeed happen. Both Spectre and MJ2 have underperformed this month, meaning there is still room for something to surprise breakout. Obviously it will be this if it's anything. And the excellent early reviews are promising for WOM. This is also one of the few films I don't think SW would have much of an effect on for late legs. What the hell, I'm IN! 

Creed and Good Dinosaur should hold the best against SW7. MJ2, Spectre, Krampus, Heart of Sea and Frankenstein target SW7's demo to some degree. Creed looks like a leggy WOM hit in the making, while Good Dinosaur is going to end up being paired with SW7 in double features.

And if SW7 really does $250 million+ OW, GD and to a lesser extent Alvin 4/Creed will benefit from potentially thousands of sellouts across the nation :Dthat weekend is looking like $300 million+ possibly. 

I'm kind of shocked at the preview numbers.  And if that does translate into a 12-14 million dollar Wednesday, you can lock 100 million.  And if it is as well received as the reviews suggest it will be, it will make  more than 130 mill.  This is so gratifying.

To put this into a little perspective, Grudge Match, which I thought would be a big hit, only made 7 mill OW and 29 mill total.  Creed has a chance to double the OW in one day and it should pass 30 mill in the first three days.

I'm thrilled right now.

• Like 4