grim22

The Emoji Movie | Sony Pictures Animation | July 28 2017 | Reviews coming in, more entertaining to read those than watch the movie. Current consensus: " 🎥 ➡️ 💩💩💩💩"

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Any chance that Atomic Blonde actually outgrosses this on OW (even if that too doesn't seem to be great)? :ph34r:

This would have to go below $20M (which is pretty much the high end for Atomic Blonde) for that to happen and I doubt it will.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This would have to go below $20M (which is pretty much the high end for Atomic Blonde) for that to happen and I doubt it will.

Fair enough. I was just kinda hoping for the lesser of two evils to prevail, as at least AB has one of the best actresses in the world kicking ass in an original action movie (and God knows we need more original stuff to be successful, because not every film gets to swing for the home run like Baby Driver... though this one ain't gonna be it if it ain't that good).

Can we at least agree that Dunkirk is gonna be #1 again? :ph34r:

Edited by MCKillswitch123

16 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Movie's Budget: $50 MILLION

I have noted that SONY seems to be making a real effort to keeps costs under control; a wise move on their part. Emoji might actually make a profit with that budget.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I have noted that SONY seems to be making a real effort to keeps costs under control; a wise move on their part. Emoji might actually make a profit with that budget.

Moving Imageworks to Vancouver have saved a ton of money, HT3's budget is lower than the first two films as well

31 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Moving Imageworks to Vancouver have saved a ton of money, HT3's budget is lower than the first two films as well

Yup having films animated outside of the U.S. tends to keep costs down, which is why everyone that isn't Disney / Pixar does it. It also tends to lead to more recycled / obvious weaker-looking animation though. 

• Like 1

The best line from TheWrap's review is this:

The one non-dispiriting aspect of the “Emoji Movie” experience was getting to see “Puppy!”, a new animated short set in the world of “Hotel Transylvania.” When Adam Sandler outclasses your high-concept, high-tech functions, it’s time to switch to a flip phone.

• Like 3

I remember a couple years ago when Sony did their film slate presentation for the next several years, I saw this and was just like "WTF?? Really??". Just couldn't believe this was going to be a movie.

Talk about a studio desperate for properties.

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

I remember a couple years ago when Sony did their film slate presentation for the next several years, I saw this and was just like "WTF?? Really??". Just couldn't believe this was going to be a movie.

Talk about a studio desperate for properties.

With the rumors of them losing the Bond distribution rights, it's only going to get worse.