kayumanggi

THE SHALLOWS | 06.24.16 | Sony | final domestic gross: $55,124,043

1 minute ago, Nova said:

So is this being released on the 29th in the states or the 24th? It's Facebook page just uploaded a picture saying June 24th but they've been doing all this marketing saying June 29th....

Two days before the long weekend makes sense to me.  It also capitalizes on the Canadian long weekend as July 1st is our July 4th....so it's a good date to release it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

So is this being released on the 29th in the states or the 24th? It's Facebook page just uploaded a picture saying June 24th but they've been doing all this marketing saying June 29th....

It was recently moved to the 29.

Just now, Baumer said:

Yea, well, I'm pissed no one told me about this one....shame on you @75live :ohmyzod:

Well I thought you already knew but apparently the CIA had you pushing too many pencils to  notice

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It was recently moved to the 29.

I know that. And all it's marketing has said the 29th but it's social media page literally just uploaded a photo saying "June 24th." After dropping a trailer and tv spot saying "June 29th." I agree with Baumer that June 29th is the better date but damn they better fix this and make it straightforward. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 75live said:

Well I thought you already knew but apparently the CIA had you pushing too many pencils to  notice

Take it easy on yourself 75. :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

BTW I don't think there are any night scenes in this. Or if there are then the marketing is hiding them. From what I gather the whole movie unfolds in real time ala Gravity.

Not to spoil anything but there are night scenes and it's not Gravity like if you catch my drift. In fact, most people think the trailers have spoiled the film but in reality there's way more to the movie than has been shown. I can't stress how good the script is and I hope the film has stuck by it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

Not to spoil anything but there are night scenes and it's not Gravity like if you catch my drift. In fact, most people think the trailers have spoiled the film but in reality there's way more to the movie than has been shown. I can't stress how good the script is and I hope the film has stuck by it. 

Mare you telling me this might be legit good?  

I I was just banking on hot Blake

and fuckng Sharks.

16 minutes ago, kowhite said:

Mare you telling me this might be legit good?  

I I was just banking on hot Blake

and fuckng Sharks.

The script itself is very good. I was a bit weary because a script can be very good but then the movie itself can suck for whatever reason. And shark films themselves have gotten bad reps because the CGI sharks are a joke. After seeing the trailers, the shark and the cinematography (Jaume Collet-Serra is to thank for the breath taking scenes and what not) I have a lot of faith that the film will be legit good. The only other thing that may factor in the quality of the film, is whether Blake Lively actually did the script justice in terms of her acting. After seeing her in Adaline, I think she can hold her own but I haven't seen the film yet obviously so I can't comment on that. Sony is selling this to the general male population as hot Blake in a bikini because well why wouldn't you? Lol They just want to get as many butts in the theater as they can and right now hot Blake is a better selling point than serious actor Blake lol 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Baumer said:

People are idiots at times.  And when things get tense, people laugh at times.  One reaction doesn't tell the whole story.  

Sharks are terrifying when done right.  Open Water is still the most tense films I've ever seen...scared the fucking hell out of me.....the shot in the trailer when she is surfing and you see the shark in the wave, hold flipping crap....that was awesome.

Yeah that reveal was incredible. If for nothing else, I'm excited to see this for it's visuals.

The scene where the guy gets eaten was Sharknadoish though in the first trailer. It's funny.

I loved Open Water too. That one pulled no punches and I need to rewatch it again.

This is also reminding me of Gravity and I think Blake can do that role well. But Nova, you have me very intrigued. I too hope it's as good as the script if it banks of suspense.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Baumer said:

Sharks are terrifying and this looks to capitalize on that immensely.  I've seen all three trailers listed on imdb.....the scene where the shark leaps out of the water and eats the guy is frikkin intense and the other guy that gets eaten just as Blake is trying to pull his up is straight our of JAWS 2.  I really think this is going to be good.

I would say the same thing but unfortunately the popularity of the Sharknado series has made a lot of people less scared of Sharks.

This obviously looks much different though but I can already see a bad movie going experience for some people with dumb kids in the audience.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Baumer said:

People are idiots at times.  And when things get tense, people laugh at times.  One reaction doesn't tell the whole story.  

Sharks are terrifying when done right.  Open Water is still the most tense films I've ever seen...scared the fucking hell out of me.....the shot in the trailer when she is surfing and you see the shark in the wave, hold flipping crap....that was awesome.

True. Some jokes fall flat & people laugh. Movie plots feel contrived, people laugh. Movies ideas feel idiotic, people laugh. 

When confronted with something people don't understand, they also laugh & giggle. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I would say the same thing but unfortunately the popularity of the Sharknado series has made a lot of people less scared of Sharks.

This obviously looks much different though but I can already see a bad movie going experience for some people with dumb kids in the audience.

Sharknado is a joke and a parody and played for laughs.  This is not played for laughs.  There is nothing tongue in cheek about this.  My guess is when people swim in the ocean they think more about Jaws than they do about Sharknado.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

:WHATanabe: 

(What's shark week?)

. . . . .you. . .you're serious? You, you can't be serious right?

Discovery Channel every Summer has 7 days dedicated solely to shark programming and documentaries.  This has been going on since 1988, is usually one of the most watched things on cable, and this year it's June 26th-July 3rd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

They're also releasing this during the middle of Shark Week so that could possibly give this a bit of a boost.

Discovery Channel had a commercial with Blake Lively about shark preservation so I think you're right. 

• Like 1