kayumanggi

THE SHALLOWS | 06.24.16 | Sony | final domestic gross: $55,124,043

3 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I think this looks excellent and will most likely catch a matinee.. I'm thinking they're testing the waters for something to 1 up JAWS in modern day and this is a start, but I think "MEG" will be the JAWS of 2018, a JAWS for a new generation and with today's FX, you can bring just about anything to life..

This is more like 127 hours meets Jaws. But I just looked up MEG and the premise is more similar to Jaws than this film. MEG apparently has a budget of $150M so I think they're really going for that film to be the new Jaws. I mean with a $150M budget, I better get a great ass shark movie lol 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

150M Budget??? I would've thought it would've been a lot higher given that, well, basically the entire movie would have to be CGI right down to the water FX?? I mean, this isn't like 1975 anymore where they can build scale models like JAWS and make it work(even if the shark didn't work 90% of the time, it's what you couldn't see that terrified you the most and it worked to Spielberg's advantage).. I was thinking more like 200M Budget, but if it looks as good as the Moby Dick FX in "IN THE HEART OF THE SEA" Than I'll be pretty happy cause that was the best part of that failed movie was the whale FX.. Didn't get any more real than that..

in-the-heart-of-the-sea-22-gif-whale-tal

That's what it's reported to be on its IMDb page. It may go up as the release date gets near and that's just the starting budget. But I'm thinking because the plot is straight forward that all the money will be going to paying Jason and for the effects. I just want some good looking sharks. It's been too damn long since we've had a legit shark movie with real looking sharks and im just confused as to why the heck not haha The Shallows shark looks pretty decent though and that's mid to low budget film so hopefully with a bigger budget in MEG it can be even more legit looking. But yes that scene is my favorite from that film. So bad ass 

Edited by Nova

sadly had one person giggle at the trailer today.  Yes I get that people do laugh at tense stuff which ticks me off to no end in the theater because it can take me out of the movie due to the person being an idiot or "acting tough" or whatever.

In horror films, unless it is supposed to be a little funny or over the top gory, I get when people laugh at a scene, but when people are laughing like they did in my It Follows screening, it completely ruined the film for me as it was supposed to be atmospheric.

Now hopefully this movie doesn't go all hokey and get laughs when I see it, but so far, I really like what I have seen in the marketing

Sony is going to mess up any opportunity this has to be some what successful if they don't straighten out the release date. They have a tv spot saying June 24th. Some of the others say June 29th. And I'm just like this is why we can never ever have nice things, damn it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I think this looks excellent and will most likely catch a matinee.. I'm thinking they're testing the waters for something to 1 up JAWS in modern day and this is a start, but I think "MEG" will be the JAWS of 2018, a JAWS for a new generation and with today's FX, you can bring just about anything to life..

I doubt they are trying to one up Jaws.  JAWS is the seminal shark movie.  Not many have really attempted to do a good shark movie, this looks like it could be really good.

And for those of you doubting Lively as an actress, why?  Did you not see her in Adeline and The Town?  When given the chance to shine, she shines bright.  I have no doubt she'll pull it off here too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baumer said:

I doubt they are trying to one up Jaws.  JAWS is the seminal shark movie.  Not many have really attempted to do a good shark movie, this looks like it could be really good.

And for those of you doubting Lively as an actress, why?  Did you not see her in Adeline and The Town?  When given the chance to shine, she shines bright.  I have no doubt she'll pull it off here too.

They prefer to ignore those performances even though in Adaline she carried that film. They prefer to focus on her acting abilities in Gossip Girl as if that was a show that was carried by or required superior acting abilities and had nothing to do with vanity/appearances of the actors. Seriously had someone tell me "Blake Lively is the worst actress ever." My response "Have you seen Age of Adaline?" Their response "No but her acting in Gossip Girl sucked." Me: :rolleyes:

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Nova said:

They prefer to ignore those performances even though in Adaline she carried that film. They prefer to focus on her acting abilities in Gossip Girl as if that was a show that was carried by or required superior acting abilities and had nothing to do with vanity/appearances of the actors. Seriously had someone tell me "Blake Lively is the worst actress ever." My response "Have you seen Age of Adaline?" Their response "No but her acting in Gossip Girl sucked." Me: :rolleyes:

I agree, I really liked her in the two movies I have seen with her; Adaline and The Town.

Shame this isn't my kind of movie.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Mrs Deadpool in a wet bikini for 90 minutes?

Where do I sign up?

Also this is considered more of a thriller and not horror, right?

It's a horror thriller, I suppose. I guess it's a horror simply because people fear sharks. I'd say it's more of a thriller though lol

So this looks like it's being released June 24th as all its pages on social media have changed the date to the 24th again. Has a film ever moved up its release date so close to the film being released? And if so, why? My bet is that Sony probably feels like this movie can go up against Independence Day instead of having to fight with the Purge the weekend of the 1st for the same audience. 

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Makes me think the internal buzz for ID4-2 is pretty bad. Moving onto the date of a mega-sequel just a week out means they are confident in their movie as well as know something about the other movie.

Yeah, this makes me inclined to think that word on the street is awful for Indie Day 2 if a movie that was supposed to open that weekend and moved off has decided to move back to that weekend on such short notice. Also doesn't help that the buzz for it feels muted when it should be coming together.

• Like 1