kayumanggi

THE SHALLOWS | 06.24.16 | Sony | final domestic gross: $55,124,043

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Do people even know when this movie is coming out? 

I've seen ads frequently on TV. I've seen more ads for Free State of Jones than either this or Independence Day, though (although most live TV I watch these days are the news stations, so take that as you will).

13 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

0.00% chance

It's funny that you say that because if there is a movie that has a chance of really bombing in the coming weeks ID is it. Absolutely zero buzz what's so ever. I have yet to see a tv spot for ID on TV. Ive seen more from Free State of Jones and The Shallows. 

11 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Do people even know when this movie is coming out? 

In the states, yes. I don't know about anywhere else but I think it opens later in the summer in other markets. Sony is actually pushing for this film. It has it sponsoring the NBA finals so it's TV spot can be aired during the games. So they're pushing it towards the male crowd, I guess. It's social media presence the last few weeks has also gone up quite a bit especially on Facebook in terms of likes and trailer shares. I mean at least on my timeline I see people sharing the trailer but maybe me and my friends are just shark geeks lol 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

I have read some ridiculous stuff, and the theory that Sony moved The Shallows because they have some sort of internal data that shows they can suddenly "compete" against Independence Day might be the funniest.  That isn't the case at all.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

If this "broke out" that would mean like... MAYBE a $30 mil OW. If ID4R bombed, that'd mean at WORST a $40 mil OW.

ID is currently tracking at $47M. So I think it could go much lower than that. I don't see The Shallows hitting $30M regardless of anything. Most likely a $20M weekend. I was just busting on you earlier. No this won't beat out ID. Regardless we all know Finding Dory is going to put both films to shame. 

38 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I have read some ridiculous stuff, and the theory that Sony moved The Shallows because they have some sort of internal data that shows they can suddenly "compete" against Independence Day might be the funniest.  That isn't the case at all.  

never mind. You answered my question in the other thread. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, mrqe93 said:

Does anyone know the budget for this film? 

It hasn't been released yet but on Variety it says the Australian government can cover some of the costs because it was filmed there. 

36 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I have seen more TV Spots recently for this movie than I have for ID:4 Resurgence.. Perhaps this will be a sleeper hit??? They should tie the marketing of The SHALLOWS in with SHARK WEEK coming up on Discovery in a week or so??

That's what I'm saying. I've literally not seen one TV spot for ID and all I've been watching lately is ESPN and the NBA Finals.

But I think they will. Discovery Channel's Twitter already tweeted about the film. Ironic if you think about it :lol:

22 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Maybe the move could be Purge Election Year tracking even stronger than expected?

I personally think Sony realized their film has a better chance to go up against ID than the Purge as their release dates neared. However it was also brought up that it could be just that theater counts are dropping next weekend for some films. Who knows. 

1 hour ago, Nova said:

It's funny that you say that because if there is a movie that has a chance of really bombing in the coming weeks ID is it. Absolutely zero buzz what's so ever. I have yet to see a tv spot for ID on TV. Ive seen more from Free State of Jones and The Shallows. 

In the states, yes. I don't know about anywhere else but I think it opens later in the summer in other markets. Sony is actually pushing for this film. It has it sponsoring the NBA finals so it's TV spot can be aired during the games. So they're pushing it towards the male crowd, I guess. It's social media presence the last few weeks has also gone up quite a bit especially on Facebook in terms of likes and trailer shares. I mean at least on my timeline I see people sharing the trailer but maybe me and my friends are just shark geeks lol 

Regardless of how low you might think ID4 opens to, it's not going to do less than The Shallows.  It's impossible.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Regardless of how low you might think ID4 opens to, it's not going to do less than The Shallows.  It's impossible.

Speaking of which: remember that Independence Day 2 $500M+ club you created?

Xgr4x_f-maxage-0.gif

Sorry man. Oh well. Win some, lose some.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I know. I was just making an observation that I've seen more TV spots for this and Free State of Jones than for the $200M budgeted film coming out the same weekend. 

• Like 1