CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

Great for Straight Outta Compton, expected numbers after this weeks tracking.

Awful for Man from Uncle. With $75m budget, that's a flop.

Wow was it really? Wonder what possessed them to spend that much on it? You'd think with a budget like that they would've at least put some star power in there so there'd be some kind of draw.

can someone explain why Uncle is doing so meh, while Kingsman: The Secret Service did really well? was it just timing?

significantly better marketing-

The narration at the beginning of that Uncle trailer is one of the worst of all time. I actually liked the trailer at the end (except for that bad "and you have a new codename too: Uncle" line), but the beginning is so awful that the trailer is an autofail.

And though I haven't seen Uncle yet, I would assume Kingsman is just a flat out much better movie too.

can someone explain why Uncle is doing so meh, while Kingsman: The Secret Service did really well? was it just timing?

Better time of year, A-list cast, and really glowing early word of mouth. UNCLE felt DOA based on MI5 alone. 

Still, Kingsman was a mini-beast. 36 mil opening on one of the most competitive weekends of the year and 3.5x+ IM. I'm sure a sequel with Vaughn directing and a new conceit/star could open to as much as MI5.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 3

Guys! I just saw a movie that really excited me!

The End of the Tour is so fabulous and thought provoking. I've never been so fascinated by the relationship between two characters. Me and the girl who I went with have been intensely discussing this film for the past hour and a half. You just never know who is being honest with themselves and with each other and it really is a great movie elevated by genius script and phenomenal performances.

It is doing really well for itself two! Making pretty nice money the past couple of weeks.

Go see it!

PS. It was at a really fancy theater here in Austin. Each theater had about 16 seats and their was a full bar and lounge. Kind of a bizarre experience.

• Like 4

significantly better marketing-

The narration at the beginning of that Uncle trailer is one of the worst of all time. I actually liked the trailer at the end (except for that bad "and you have a new codename too: Uncle" line), but the beginning is so awful that the trailer is an autofail.

And though I haven't seen Uncle yet, I would assume Kingsman is just a flat out much better movie too.

even if so-so marketing from Uncle, Kingsman was rated R and over performed...its somewhat interesting cause at least UNCLE had potential future A-list stars  

Henry Cavill is not a draw outside of Superman. :stirthepot:

He's not really much of a draw in Superman either. 

Tom Cruise and Sandra Bullock remain our biggest male and female draws. 

The new generation ain't cutting it. 

And don't give me Chris Pratt and JLaw. I still need to see them opening movies without the safety net of franchises, YA novels and Marvel. 

Edited by Boogie Nights

The End of the Tour is so fabulous and thought provoking. I've never been so fascinated by the relationship between two characters. Me and the girl who I went with have been intensely discussing this film for the past hour and a half. You just never know who is being honest with themselves and with each other and it really is a great movie elevated by genius script and phenomenal performances.

I really dug it, mainly because the quiet drama between two very different kinds of writers who share how they approach the world was exactly what it should've been. I thought most of it felt earned. Jason Segel is just unrecognizable in this thing. I really felt his performance was worth the hype.  

Haven't talked about it much on these boards but it's been a great summer for indie features. Phoenix, The Look of Silence, Pigeon, Amy, Cartel Land, Tangerine, and Tour all felt like essential viewing.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

It is doing really well for itself two! Making pretty nice money the past couple of weeks.

Go see it!

PS. It was at a really fancy theater here in Austin. Each theater had about 16 seats and their was a full bar and lounge. Kind of a bizarre experience.

Go A24! Another winner for them. I was debating between that and Diary of a Teenage Girl for tomorrow night. 

• Like 1

I really dug it, mainly because the quiet drama between two very different kinds of writers who share how they approach the world was exactly what it should've been. I thought most of it felt earned. Jason Segel is just unrecognizable in this thing. I really felt his performance was worth the hype.

Haven't talked about it much on these boards but it's been a great summer for indie features. Phoenix, The Look of Silence, Pigeon, Amy, Cartel Land, Tangerine, and Tour all felt like essential viewing.

It's crazy how deep the whole film was. On the surface it was about these guy's takes on life, but they obviously were having deep conversations. But as you unmask their interactions it is maybe more about ego, respect and almost selfishness. At least that was my interpretation.

I've tried to message you like forty five times to tell you that you have fabulous taste and you've further proven that. (Clear your inbox.)

Can't wait for Phoenix, The Look of Silence and Tangerine to be accessible for me. I'd say add Testament of Youth to your list too! Plus, I should be seeing the new Xavier Dolan and Mistress America over the next couple weeks, which just really nicely completely this summer for indies.

• Like 1

Go A24! Another winner for them. I was debating between that and Diary of a Teenage Girl for tomorrow night.

That also looks like a lot of fun! Add that and Listen to Me Marlon on my long list of films to catch before the summer ends.

• Like 1

It's going to be interesting to see how BVS performed. It will make lots of money for sure, but I have a feeling that WB wants Avengers numbers and they will accept nothing less. 

Nobody can expect "Avengers numbers" ... that was a perfect storm, such things happen but are not predictable as seen with Avengers2 (which is therefore the better comparison)

• Like 1