CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

My belated contribution to the worst summer blockbusters...

Easily...Batman & Robin.

Look up the worst blockbuster in the dictionary and that film is the definition. I don't care how much you hate JW, to put it in even the same ballpark as B&R is beyond my comprehension.

tumblr_n2pzwz0ueV1rrkahjo8_250.gif
  • Like 1

My belated contribution to the worst summer blockbusters...

Easily...Batman & Robin.

Look up the worst blockbuster in the dictionary and that film is the definition. I don't care how much you hate JW, to put it in even the same ballpark as B&R is beyond my comprehension.

tumblr_n1x8dpHiKm1rb4ukqo1_540.jpg

• Like 3

They go together like Lamb and Tuna Fish.

Lamb and Tuna fish? What you don't like spaghetti and meatballs? I mean if you don't like spaghetti and meatballs why don't you just get the hell out of here!

Also, good number for SOC. Hopefully it hits $20m but it was bound to drop a decent amount from Fri.

Lamb and Tuna fish? What you don't like spaghetti and meatballs? I mean if you don't like spaghetti and meatballs why don't you just get the hell out of here!

Also, good number for SOC. Hopefully it hits $20m but it was bound to drop a decent amount from Fri.

Listen, I'll come down there and give you a crew cut mister.

Even Michael Bay couldn't reach that meta-level of blockbuster cynicism which loathes the very thing it is and chastisized its audience for indulging its very own existence while asking us to lap it up by sugarcoating the hypocritical misanthropy with cheap nostalgia. "So you want your JP movie bigger, cooler, louder and dumber? Even if it's a terrible idea, here you are suckers, enjoy your ride!". That sneaky contempt of the makers that goes over most audience's heads is remarkable while Spielby is laughing his way to the bank.

BcSQVXq.gif

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 1

Sat

SOC 19.6,MI5 7, MFU 5,F4 3.3,Gift 2.7,AM 2.3,Vac 2.2, Min 2, RATF 1.8,TW 1.7

It increased minus previews (only by a little, but still way less front-loaded then I thought)! Very impressive. Hope it can hit 20m with actuals.

Edited by Mattrek Loves Del Toro
  • Like 1

RTH computes so I don't have to!

Slight bump from Friday when everything else is shooting up means SOC will play fronloaded, but a high 50s opening is a huge win for the film and Universal. We haven't had a performer like this since 8 Mile.

UNCLE's a bomb, can't imagine WB would be happy with a 13m opening.

MI5, Gift and Ant-Man all holding super well.

• Like 3

"Get over yourself" is like the Fight Club "you're not a snowflake" speech just much lamer.

I mean who thinks their blockbuster cash grab movie is above criticism? Get over your weak, candy-ass movie.

Marvel and other studios don't make cash grab blockbusters? :rolleyes:  Nobody said Jurassic World is above criticism. 

Even Michael Bay couldn't reach that meta-level of blockbuster cynicism which loathes the very thing it is and chastisized its audience for indulging its very own existence while asking us to lap it up by sugarcoating the hypocritical misanthropy with cheap nostalgia. "So you want your JP movie bigger, cooler, louder and dumber? Even if it's a terrible idea, here you are suckers, enjoy your ride!". That sneaky contempt of the makers that goes over most audience's heads is remarkable while Spielby is laughing its way to the bank.

Giving audiences what they want and enjoy is cynical? Sorry to tell you but that's how business works. Way to label people as gullible for spending their hard earned money on a movie they liked just because you're not a fan of it. Elitism at its finest. 

Edited by scoobysaurus
  • Like 3

At least we can all agree Avatar the last Airbender was worse then JW. 

Right?  :huh:

I just make a note that it's just "The Last Airbender".

Avatar the Last Airbender is an amazing cartoon.

Marvel and other studios don't make cash grab blockbusters? :rolleyes:  Nobody said Jurassic World is above criticism. 

Giving audiences what they want and enjoy is cynical? Sorry to tell you but that's how business works. Way to label people as gullible for spending their hard earned money on a movie they liked just because you're not a fan of it. Elitism at its finest. 

No. Explicitly blaming them for indulging and enjoying something that embodies what it wants to criticize, that is cynicism. You shouldn't be mad at the messenger.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 1

RTH computes so I don't have to!

Slight bump from Friday when everything else is shooting up means SOC will play fronloaded, but a high 50s opening is a huge win for the film and Universal. We haven't had a performer like this since 8 Mile.

UNCLE's a bomb, can't imagine WB would be happy with a 13m opening.

MI5, Gift and Ant-Man all holding super well.

And Minions too - holding well

No. Explicitly blaming them for indulging and enjoying something that embodies what it wants to criticize, that is cynicism. You shouldn't be mad at the messenger.

Oh I'm not mad at all. I just don't agree with what you have to say because it implies that (most) audiences are inherently too dumb to realise that they are being duped, which I don't think is the case here. 

Sometimes I get super bummed out that users here like to crucify a film simply because it was entertaining.  

Because some of us think that we should expect better from our movies. I don't get what's so elitist about this. Especially when no one was making "it's dumb fun!" excuses about Fury Road or MI5 or Furious 7 or Inside Out this year alone. 

Explicitly blaming them for indulging and enjoying something that embodies what it wants to criticize, that is cynicism. 

Ie what JW does. Weirdly some people think this is disputable. It's the text of the movie, this is what most conversations in the film are about. Audiences can still enjoy the movie anyway (they did), I can ask why. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 4

Oh I'm not mad at all. I just don't agree with what you have to say because it implies that (most) audiences are inherently too dumb to realise that they are being duped, which I don't think is the case here. 

It's not the audience that I'm blaming. It's the cynical makers that think the audiences are dumb enough to be fooled by their super smart "self-consciousness" while proceeding to make the surface-level blockbuster 2.0 amping up the hollow shiny spectacle they're lamenting. General audience proved in the past they can enjoy expertly made and genuinely fun blockbusters without being blamed for the state of the franchise driven industry made by execs that look upon their audience with contempt.

When the movie's intent is lost on the audience like putting Williams majestic and awe-inspiring music onto a view of a corporate park with no dinosaurs in sight and people emotionally react in tears like a dream coming true while the director stated that it was ironic, that's an issue. The whole movie is filled with tonally jarring moments like this where intent totally diverges with the audience's reaction. The assistant's death is meant to be horrific and unsettling but people found it fun like "haha the bitch deserved it". :mellow:

Edited by MADash Rendar