CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

People have weird expectations like people consider Entourage a flop which is hilarious to me. A show with limited fanbase that finished ages ago doing over 30m is not bad. Doubt Mad Man or Broadwalk Empire would do half of that. GoT would be interesting though.

it also had a 30M budget...

WB spent too much making and promoting Entourage. It made about as much as could reasonably be expected but they read the market for the movie all wrong thinking it would be the male Sex & The City

$30m to produce and WB spent $40m on just TV advertising in the U.S

But then WB sends a lot on advertising compared to other studios.. (List doesn't even include the $30m they just spent on UNCLE)

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/mid-year-movie-report-warner-bros-dominates-top-tv-ad-budgets-1201539126/

1. Get Hard (Warner Bros.): $44.5 million

2. Focus (Warner Bros.): $43.3 million

3. Mad Max: Fury Road (Warner Bros.): $41.8 million

4. Jupiter Ascending (Warner Bros.): $41 million

5. Entourage (Warner Bros.): $40.6 million

6. Run All Night (Warner Bros.): $39.3 million

7. Jurassic World (Universal): $32.4 million

8. Hot Pursuit (Warner Bros.): $31.8 million

9. Furious 7 (Universal): $31.7 million

There is a reason for this, other studios spend just as much as WB does on TV ads, the difference is that WB doesn't own any TV channels so all their spend is counted as is. Universal advertises heavily on NBC and related networks which doesn't cost them a dime (only opportunity costs), all Disney movies advertise mainly on ABC and Disney Channel etc. Fox of course has Fox and its related networks. Paramount has the Viacom channels. Sony is the only other studio without its own channel to advertise on. WB has the TBS/TNT connection but cable spend and viewership is a fraction of the free to air channels.

The TV Spend WB will unleash for BvS and the Harry Potter spinoff will be huge for sure. Won't be surprised if they spring for a Superbowl spot for BvS as well. 

Universal used the NBC connection really well this year with the Superbowl mainly containing ads for Universal movies.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 3

next few small releases w/e actuals

Listen to Me Marlon    $38,553    -9%    22    11    $1,752    $171,255    3        
Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet    $35,956    +31%    11    9    $3,269    $71,310    2
Dope    $20,797    -43%    28    -10    $743    $16,694,969    9
Samba    $10,068    -61%    12    -15    $839    $141,006    4
The Great Man    $2,482    --    1    --    $2,482    $2,482    1
Hippocrates: Diary of a French Doctor    $586    -53%    1    0    $586    $22,611    9

• Like 1

There is a reason for this, other studios spend just as much as WB does on TV ads, the difference is that WB doesn't own any TV channels so all their spend is counted as is. Universal advertises heavily on NBC and related networks which doesn't cost them a dime (only opportunity costs), all Disney movies advertise mainly on ABC and Disney Channel etc. Fox of course has Fox and its related networks. Paramount has the Viacom channels. Sony is the only other studio without its own channel to advertise on. WB has the TBS/TNT connection but cable spend and viewership is a fraction of the free to air channels.

The TV Spend WB will unleash for BvS and the Harry Potter spinoff will be huge for sure. Won't be surprised if they spring for a Superbowl spot for BvS as well. 

Universal used the NBC connection really well this year with the Superbowl mainly containing ads for Universal movies.

WB also has the WB network on free TV. I don't know specific channels in other parts of the country, but their affiliate in NY is WPIX 11. The only major studio without a mainstream free TV channel is Sony.

But the CW's viewership compared to the major four networks and many cable programs is minimal and not at all encompassing. 

I don't know anything about American tv. I don't know the difference between cable and network. I am just saying it because I have heard of the cw and I think it's owned by WB. :P

I would not expect a BvS Super Bowl ad. Warner hasn't done ads in quite a while I would expect one, given that the film is only a month after superbowl.
They're like vehemently opposed to doing it now. Even if it were coming out the following week they wouldn't do it

Universal is a monster this year.

Sitting in for DOC now. Everyone is white in the audience

Next to Zoolander 2 Paranormal Activity is the best trailer of the year. Finally excited to see a PA film again.

Del Toros new film looks like shit

Universal is a monster this year.

Sitting in for DOC now. Everyone is white in the audience

Next to Zoolander 2 Paranormal Activity is the best trailer of the year. Finally excited to see a PA film again.

Del Toros new film looks like shit

Yeah it just looks boring

• Like 2

The success of “Straight Outta Compton” overshadowed the weekend’s other major release, “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” The Warner Bros.-produced update of the 1960s television show grossed $13.4 million. That’s an anemic number considering that the film cost $75 million to make.

17 minutes old mini-article at:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/straight-outta-compton-box-office-opening-final-1201571387/

A LEGO Brickumentary    $3,719    -53%    10    -13    $372    $95,102    3

The Hunting Ground    $930    --    3    --    $310    $402,252    25

Thanks for the enlightenment.