Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend #s: Straight Outta Compton - 26.8M; Mission Impossible - 11.7M; Sinister 2 - 10.6M; Hitman - 8.2M; American Ultra - 5.5M

damn T5 could make 200m in China and 500m worldwide. Terminator 6 is happening now. 

I have just read the China thread. Potential 2nd biggest OD there in the making. 500M WW (what Paramount and Skydance wanted) and a sequel will happen. It will be co-produced with China, that is for sure.

• Like 1

Max Landis

@Uptomyknees

Am I wrong? Is trying to make original movies in a big way just not a valid career path anymore for anyone but Tarantino and Nolan?

:rolleyes: 

I've seen some other tweets from him this weekend too. he's decided to go down the "psycho got bad reviews when it came out too!!" path for a reaction. hahahahaha fuck.

• Like 4

People will watch anything in China.

To anyone that's been to China, why is this?

The short answer is because Chinese movies are even worse than our Hollywood flops.

Many Chinese admit that they even think many of these films aren't good, but they're still better than a lot of the domestic crap that gets made there. I've heard/read that many Chinese filmmakers complain about creative freedom (adherence to strict guidelines) and how government censors still force them to make heavy edits that lead to incoherent plots among other problems. Basically, censors playing the role of heavily-interfering big studios except they have different motivations. I know there has been a lot of push-back in China over the last couple of years (and we're seeing Hollywood partner more with domestic Chinese companies), but their film industry (HK excluded) is still relatively young.

• Like 1

I've seen some other tweets from him this weekend too. he's decided to go down the "psycho got bad reviews when it came out too!!" path for a reaction. hahahahaha fuck.

He is over-reacting but his point about original movies is accurate. Audiences don't want to spend money on an unknown quantity. People who run the studios aren't morons. They rarely greenlight anything original these days because the odds are that people won't see it..

• Like 1

Totally agree, they even have nearly the same budget ($150m MM:FR, $155m T???)

It's the same with MI:RN ($150m) and Ant-Man ($130m), I do not understand the 'failure', later 'meh' or similar comments especially about the dom numbers.

One of the main reasons why I tend to jump in then, way too like looking into a distorting mirror or like those people re-writing history, when the recognised history doesn't match what they want it to be IMHO.

Are you kidding me? MI5 is nearly doubling AM WW dude.

I have just read the China thread. Potential 2nd biggest OD there in the making. 500M WW (what Paramount and Skydance wanted) and a sequel will happen. It will be co-produced with China, that is for sure.

They'll get a Chinese action star as a proper evil Terminator as opposed to how they wasted Byung-hun Lee in this one.

• Like 1

They'll get a Chinese action star as a proper evil Terminator as opposed to how they wasted Byung-hun Lee in this one.

Terminator China is happening. If that does 200M there it will fly past the 500M WW.