WrathOfHan

Weekend Ests. (p19): SOC 13.2M|War Room 11|MI 8.3|No Escape 8.29|Sinister 4.65 |UNCLE 4.41|JW 3.12|AM 3.03|Minions 2.9|WAYF 1.8

I'm just here to say Superman Returns > MOS

Bye

Not meaning to restart this whole thing, but...

Throwing aside any arguments about quality, I would rewatch Superman III before I would rewatch SR *or* MOS. At least Superman III is fun in how stupid it is. (Though I can't say the same for Superman IV - that movie is just plain bad.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

WAYF is a historical flop. It is not just bad, it is a total disaster. Top 5 worst all time wide release, Top 3 if you throw out the Saw 10 year re-release. Just wow.

ZoZTneI.png

lol It's not a flop. It's budget is just 6 M. I don't think you understand the meaning of flop. Yes, it has one of the worst openings for a wide release but it's far from being a flop.

Flops are those that resulted to big losses for studios like Universal's 47 RONIN and RIPD, Disney's MARS NEEDS MOMS, JOHN CARTER and THE LONE RANGER and Warner Brothers' JACK THE GIANT KILLER.

TG at $409M WW. Wow! And at $320M OS.

Already surpassed T2's $315M OS. That's very surprising.

24 years of inflation and market expansion will do that.

In the markets that were major in 1991, it seems like Genisys is disappointing much as in the USA. For example, in Germany T2 sold 4.65m tickets. Genisys? 800,000.

Not saying T:G is "illegitimate", but I am saying that 1.) it is not going to sell as many tickets WW or OS as T2 did, and 2.) it is disappointing in the markets that made T2 the #2 highest-grossing film of all time OS/WW in 1991.

Edited by TServo2049

Straight Outta Compton didn't hold as well as I had hoped, but it's still doing solid business. Assuming that it rounds out its share of summer weekdays well and also posts a strong hold over the holiday frame next weekend, it should comfortably top the adjusted $163 million gross of 8 Mile.

War Room had a very good opening, as expected. Even with the glut of Christian-targeted films after the God's Not Dead breakout, the "from the makers of Fireproof and Courageous" branding practically guaranteed a double-digits opening. Its staying power will probably be much more akin to Courageous (which had a similar theatre count in its opening weekend) than Fireproof or God's Not Dead, but Labor Day should give it a little boost.

Mission: Impossible held up quite nicely, even in spite of losing IMAX altogether. It's definitely taking advantage of the weak slate of August releases. Its performance between now and next Monday should give a clear indication of whether it has enough gas in the tank to scrape past $200 million.

No Escape had a ho-hum opening despite the huge theatre count and the aggressive marketing in the last two weeks. The premise has some promise, but I think that the reviews buried it. I also wonder how many potential viewers might have been scared off by the racism/xenophobia accusations that some of the more scathing reviews threw at it.

Last weekend's openers each held up a little better than I was expecting, but that's damning with faint praise.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. deserves a little bit of commendation for not collapsing despite losing nearly 1,000 theatres, but a three-weekend total of $34.1 million is embarrassingly bad for a high-profile summer release.

Jurassic World did quite well in its re-expansion. It was definitely a shrewd move on Universal's part to do it before Labor Day weekend in order to take advantage of a weak spot in the IMAX schedule.

We Are Your Friends had an absolutely awful opening, but... well... duh. While I don't think that anyone expected something this bad, the fact that the film had such a quiet path to its release indicated that it wasn't going to make much noise.

I'd say "Poor Zac Efron" but he'll survive this just fine, even if he'll probably do nothing but comedies, which make up almost all of his upcoming projects (Neighbors 2, the one with De Niro, the one with Adam Devine and Anna Kendrick, the Baywatch reboot opposite Dwayne Johnson), going forward.

• Like 3

Why did JW increase by 222%? Wtf? It's run is insane.

It returned to IMAX (which is undoubtedly where the bulk of its business came from this weekend), and it also returned to quite a few conventional theatres.