WrathOfHan

Weekend Ests. (p19): SOC 13.2M|War Room 11|MI 8.3|No Escape 8.29|Sinister 4.65 |UNCLE 4.41|JW 3.12|AM 3.03|Minions 2.9|WAYF 1.8

http://deadline.com/2015/08/we-are-your-friends-war-room-no-escape-box-office-1201508969/

"The faith-based film War Room, from Fireproof director Alex Kendrick, started its weekend early last night with $600K from 1,017 theaters. The film, which is being handled by Affirm/Tri-Star will expand to 1,135 locations and is on track for a $4M-$5M. Warner Bros.’ Zac Efron drama We Are Your Friends came in much lower with $175K."

Edited by WrathOfHan

WAYF is also bombing over here and it had a pretty big marketing campaign. Meanwhile Hitman is exploding with a pretty discrete (but well placed) TV campaign and it will open above Ant-Man, Fant4stic, San Andreas, Godzilla, Terminator Genisys between many other supposedly bigger movies that had much bigger campaigns. 

• Like 1

Holy bombage, We Are Your Friends! Not surprised though. With a nonexistent marketing campaign (and whatever marketing there was put into it was muddled) and no real target audience, it was basically left for dead.

The R rating certainly doesn't help at all. 

The R rating certainly doesn't help at all. 

No doubt about that, but even with a PG-13, I doubt something that looked so cheap and low-rent (it looked like someone thought it would be a cool idea to make a movie that looked like it was shot through Instagram filters throughout. It's not) was ever gonna make much of an impact.

No doubt about that, but even with a PG-13, I doubt something that looked so cheap and low-rent (it looked like someone thought it would be a cool idea to make a movie that looked like it was shot through Instagram filters throughout. It's not) was ever gonna make much of an impact.

I think a PG-13 would have pushed it to a 6-7M OW. It might not even do 4M :lol: 

It's kinda too bad War Room didn't open next weekend because it probably would've easily landed at #1 and provided at least some sort of interesting note to end summer on. Marketplace is gonna continue to be a dead zone the two weeks after this one.

• Like 1

I wonder if WB knew it was a dud and gave up on it. They acquired it rather than produce and financed it so they won't lose out much on its failure. 

It has all the characteristics of an end-of-summer-dump. We Are Your Friends is a really lame title for a movie to begin with, especially one that's aiming to be "hip".

It has all the characteristics of an end-of-summer-dump. We Are Your Friends is a really lame title for a movie to begin with, especially one that's aiming to be "hip".

They wanted to repeat the small success of If I Stay. But If I Stay was PG-13. 

They wanted to repeat the small success of If I Stay. But If I Stay was PG-13. 

If I Stay was based on a bestselling novel and got a fairly aggressive marketing push. This wasn't really aimed at anyone in particular and WB gave up on it (but then they didn't produce it so all they paid for was the marketing, which there was hardly any of).

The budget for WAYF is $11m but Studiocanal who financed the film will have made the budget back by selling the domestic rights to WB and some overseas territories. It's similar to what Lionsgate and Summit do with their films. 

It's kinda too bad War Room didn't open next weekend because it probably would've easily landed at #1 and provided at least some sort of interesting note to end summer on. Marketplace is gonna continue to be a dead zone the two weeks after this one.

I dunna. War Room always seemed like a film that at best would have opened with only 9m. Which isn't bad, but I don't think it really ever had the opportunity to be #1, especially with its theater count.