WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates: Maze Runner - 30.3M | Black Mass - 23.4M | Everest - 7.5M | The Visit - 11.4M | Perfect Guy - 9.7M

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/black-mass-maze-runner-heading-for-30-million-at-box-office-1201596941/

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials” is heading for as high as a $34 million opening weekend at the U.S. box office — likely enough to top a solid showing by Johnny Depp’s “Black Mass” that could reach $30 million,  according to early estimates Friday.

Should initial projections hold, “The Scorch Trials” would finish the weekend in line with recent forecasts for the sci-fi sequel. The $34 million figure would be about 5% above the $32.5 million opening weekend for “The Maze Runner on the same weekend a year ago.

“Scorch Trials” started its race with an impressive $1.7 million in Thursday night showings at about 2,900 locations — 55% above the Thursday evening total for “Maze Runner.” Early estimates for opening day of “Scorch Trials” ranged from $8 million at $12 million at 3,791 sites.

Depp’s gangster pic “Black Mass” earned a notable $1.4 million — similar to the $1.2 million in previews a year ago from “Gone Girl,” which went on to an opening weekend of $37.5 million. Early estimates for for Friday’s number on “Black Mass” were in the $9 million to $11 million range at 3,188 locations.

“Black Mass,” which has evoked mostly stellar reviews for Depp followings its showings at the Telluride, Venice and Toronto festivals, was heading for as high as $30 million for weekend. That’s well above recent estimates in the low 20s.

• Like 2

To be honest, I'm not content with both movies earning 30-35M. While that's obviously incredible, I would have much rather preferred one movie gross 50+ even if another grosses 20. That would have made for an interesting weekend. That being said, it's Maze Runner that I would have been cheering for, even though I'm sure Black Mass is also incredible ;)

This is... disappointing. 

Dude, the numbers came out at 4:30 EST. Black Mass is a hard R-rated gangster movie for working, serious movie faring adults that's probably going to play well late into the night. Maze Runner is a young adult movie targeted to high schoolers, most of whom were barely even out of school when these numbers were posted. Numbers increase from Variety/Deadline almost every week.

Message to everyone: R-E-L-A-X. 

• Like 1

To be honest, I'm not content with both movies earning 30-35M. While that's obviously incredible, I would have much rather preferred one movie gross 50+ even if another grosses 20. That would have made for an interesting weekend. That being said, it's Maze Runner that I would have been cheering for, even though I'm sure Black Mass is also incredible ;)

This is... disappointing. 

Honestly its a bit disappointing for Scorch Trials, but its pretty damn great for Black Mass people just let there expectations get way out of hand

They're disappointing if you believed the $50m tracking for Scorch Trials. However, we are looking at the possibility at TWO $30m openers in September when just lack week we had the first instance of two $25m openers. Most people here thought BM was going to do $20's until MT came along.

So about the same OW then for MR2 as the first. Could be worse, but definitely a little disappointing. We also know MT was indeed "drunk" this week. BM is an adult drama that was like 5x ahead of a YA sequel but still didn't outgross it on Friday. Obviously still an extremely strong opening for BM, MT was just way messed up on it though.

Edited by MovieMan89