WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread | Official estimate: The Martian 55M. Rth Sunday Est Pg43: 13.4M. Gravity will remain October OW record holder.

Yeah but this kid, man. I heard him say Contact was shit and Mission to Mars was the best of them all

Mission to Mars has a bad ass sandstorm and a National Geographic lesson at the end. Entertainment & education in one movie!

Kidding aside, both Red Planet & Mission to Mars are lackluster movies. But Mission has a nice scene where they have to, if I 

remember correctly, jump from one module to another landing module while tethered to a cord. Gut-wrenching scene, some cool

scifi ideas but the whole thing in the end (evolutionary lesson taught by an alien) is ridiculously out-of-place.

• Like 1

I wonder which movie will be the one to have all the rapturously rabid Martian fans do a 180 and say, "I want this to beat The Martian...The Martian is so overrated...It owes its success to [*insert lots of factors except the movie actually connecting with audiences*]...

Are Martin Scorcese or Clint Eastwood planning to direct a space/sicence fiction-ish epic soon?

tbh I would for sure throw every other movie under the bus if scorsese was doing a space epic. 100% justified too.

• Like 3

Good results for the top 2. Will try and catch the Martian soon here. HT2 doesn't reach our shores till December.

The Martian is a lot of fun. I wish those Matt Damon scenes go on and on. Chatterbox Matt is a lot more fun to hang out with while stranded in outer space than manic depressive Sandra Bullock.

• Like 3

Good results for the top 2. Will try and catch the Martian soon here. HT2 doesn't reach our shores till December.   The Martian is a lot of fun. I wish those Matt Damon scenes go on and on. Chatterbox Matt is a lot more fun to hang out with while stranded in outer space than manic depressive Sandra Bullock.
I can't wait!

The Martian is a lot of fun. I wish those Matt Damon scenes go on and on. Chatterbox Matt is a lot more fun to hang out with while stranded in outer space than manic depressive Sandra Bullock.

why can't she just smile more?

• Like 2

why can't she just smile more?

Well, it is an intense movie not a light-hearted one like Martian. Bullock character just lost  her child for God sake. 

The whole movie could be in Bullock's head as she loses blood trying to commit suicide but pull back to consciousness by ER doctor

played George Clooney in those dream sequence. The whole movie, Gravity, takes place inside Bullock's head: a failed astronaut

who ends up working in medical industry. Survive! Survive! The word "survive" is a combination of "surge" & "revive"  B)

Edited by zackzack

The first scene where Watney wakes up alone on mars

and has to remove the shrapnel from his body

is ten times more intense than anything in Gravity

The first scene where Watney wakes up alone on mars

and has to remove the shrapnel from his body

is ten times more intense than anything in Gravity

Uh, OK, it is a pretty intense scene but 10 times more intense than anything Gravity is really pushing it.

I think the surgery scene in Prometheus (a very mixed bag of a movie) is more intense. 

Apple to apple here, another Ridley Scott movie.

• Like 1

Looks like it'll be The Walk in IMAX 3D today.

My sister, since I'm visiting her in Boston, is in charge of the movie decisions.

I just want to science the shit out of my moviegoing weekend.  :(

Uh, OK, it is a pretty intense scene but 10 times more intense than anything Gravity is really pushing it.

I think the surgery scene in Prometheus (a very mixed bag of a movie) is more intense.

Apple to apple here, another Ridley Scott movie.

Well part of the point is that I never found Gravity to be all that intense. Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 1

The re-entry scene in Gravity got me more emotional (and still does) than anything in The Martian. And I really liked The Martian.

For all the movie's flaws, that was the best part. Seeing that on the big screen gave me chills.

The Martian is exciting but Gravity is intense. Dude, you gotta admit that.

To some degree it is, but the film really wears thin because its the same scene over and over and over again. So the first time you see her spinning out of controlled in space and shit its kinda of exciting but after that... Whatever