WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg31): The Martian 37 | HT2 20.3 | Pan 15.5 | Intern 8.66 | Sicario 7.35 | The Walk 3.65 | Steve Jobs 521k

Technically Creed is probably their big holiday release. In the heart of the sea has the worst release date in the history of bad release dates, a second weekend drop to rival Hellboy 2 would not shock me. I actually think Point Break will not flop as hard as everyone is expecting, I think around 47 Ronin numbers more or less. Point Break is not produced by WB anyway, it is just them distributing, so it won't hurt them as much, in fact it has way too many production houses and even more distribution houses so no one will be burnt too badly by it.

Warners actually has high hopes for Heart of the Sea;they moved it from a dumping ground  release to a Holiday slot. Apparently it turned out much better then anybody expected,and Warner's has Oscar hopes for it. I think they are doing a bit of counter programming with it;they are selling it as a more serious drama then "Force Awakens".

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

I feel like Pan came out during the wrong time. It would have likely done better if released on Christmas.

Families won't have many options that day outside of SW.

Instead Pan is smack in the middle between Hotel Transylvania 2, Goosebumps and Peanuts. It is going to get killed. :mellow:

• Like 1

I feel like Pan came out during the wrong time. It would have likely done better if released on Christmas.

Instead Pan is smack in the middle between Hotel Transylvania 2, Goosebumps and Peanuts. It is going to get killed. :mellow:

5 wide releases and 2 big limited releases on Christmas (Revenant and Hateful Eight). Pan would get slaughtered there

• Alvin and the Chipmunks The Road Chip (Fox) - 12/23

• Concussion (2015) (Sony) - 12/25

• Daddy's Home (Par.) - 12/25

• The Hateful Eight (Wein.) - 12/25

• Joy (Fox) - 12/25

• Point Break (2015) (WB) - 12/25

• The Revenant (Fox) - 12/25

What's with the 15th January date as well? 4 wide releases (not counting Nut Job)

• 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (Par.) - 1/15

• The 5th Wave (Sony) - 1/15

• Norm of the North (LGF) - 1/15

• The Nut Job 2 (ORF) - 1/15

• Remember (A24) - 1/15

• Ride Along 2 (Uni.) - 1/15

Edited by grim22

Warners actually has high hopes for Heart of the Sea;they moved it from a dumping ground  release to a Holiday slot. Apparently it turned out much better then anybody expected,and Warner's has Oscar hopes for it. I think they are doing a bit of counter programming with it;they are selling it as a more serious drama then "Force Awakens".

I believe there were reports that they really delayed In the Heart of the Sea because of iffy test screenings? I dunno. Maybe they didn't want the media to come down too hard on Hemsworth so soon after Blackhat's epic bombage. It seems like it's going to be a flop no matter what.

The studio should have treated The Walk like an arthouse movie and released it in just around 1,0000 theaters and hope for some Oscars. But I doubt that will happen now because of JGL's weird accent in the movie and the failure of its boxoffice run. :wacko:

5 wide releases and 2 big limited releases on Christmas (Revenant and Hateful Eight). Pan would get slaughtered there

Alvin and the Chipmunks The Road Chip (Fox) - 12/23

Concussion (2015) (Sony) - 12/25

Daddy's Home (Par.) - 12/25

The Hateful Eight (Wein.) - 12/25

Joy (Fox) - 12/25

Point Break (2015) (WB) - 12/25

The Revenant (Fox) - 12/25

Among these I think Concussion looks like “the winner" although Joy could too

Pan would have bombed no matter what it;s release date. Why do you think Warners moved it from a valuable sumer slot?

Problem was that Warners made a film that simply was not very good. And ,yes, quality matters even for family films.

• Like 1

The studio should have treated The Walk like an arthouse movie and released it in just around 1,0000 theaters and hope for some Oscars. But I doubt that will happen now because of JGL's weird accent in the movie and the failure of its boxoffice run. :wacko:

Sony just had no confidence in The Walk, judging by their inability to build much buzz. They really shouldn't have given it a limited IMAX release.

I also think that even after 14 years, the Twin Towers is still a very sensitive subject for a lot of people.

• Like 1

• Alvin and the Chipmunks The Road Chip (Fox) - 12/23

• Concussion (2015) (Sony) - 12/25

• Daddy's Home (Par.) - 12/25

• The Hateful Eight (Wein.) - 12/25

• Joy (Fox) - 12/25

• Point Break (2015) (WB) - 12/25

• The Revenant (Fox) - 12/25

I COMPLETELY forgot that Alvin 4 existed! :rofl:

DAMN! That's a LOT of films out on one day at Christmas! :blink:

I really liked The Walk but box office wise I guess it didn't matter if even Spielberg or Nolan had directed it. Audiences at large just didn't care to see the story of a French dude with an unflattering haircut who walked on a tightrope between the Twin Towers (an image that probably caused some discomfort in some still) in the 70s.

I also think that even after 14 years, the Twin Towers is still a very sensitive subject for a lot of people.

I read a post saying that the thrill of the perspective and the will he or won't he fall from such heights loses entertainment value once you realize 200 people actually jumped out of windows that high up to escape the fire.  And now that's all I think about when I see an ad.

I really liked The Walk but box office wise I guess it didn't matter if even Spielberg or Nolan had directed it. Audiences at large just didn't care to see the story of a French dude with an unflattering haircut who walked on a tightrope between the Twin Towers (an image that probably caused some discomfort in some still) in the 70s.

I dunna, marketing was really weak too. When it comes supposed well-received movies doing poorly, there's more to it then simply that audiences weren't interested in the story.