Fancyarcher

Isle of Dogs | Wes Anderson | April 20 2018

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah, passing Moonrise Kingdom (45M) is going to be a challenge now. This will expand fine given how empty April is, but passing Grand Budapest for his highest grossing movie is off the table now.

Being PG-13 for "thematic elements and violent images" sounds unnecessary anyways. Unless it was graphic, which the rating doesn't say, then they should have been able to still get away with violence for a PG rating in animation. There's some disturbing shit for kids in stuff like Coraline and a whole slew of other animated movies that are PG. Just annoying since I can't imagine my little nephews are the only kids seeing a poster like this and having interest:

DRbV3bQUIAA-WLC.jpg

• Like 1

Eh, would've been nice if it could tap into a more mainstream audience but I won't sweat it. Don't we all want more PG-13/R animated movies, anyway? Always was going to take someone with clout like Wes Anderson to get one made and distributed by a major studio.

• Like 7

I can name a slew of PG-13 "animated" movies that kids flocked to: Avatar, The Avengers, Jurassic World, Guardians of the Galaxy, Transformers, Star Wars (episodes 3, 7, and 8, plus Rogue One), the three Hobbit films...

:redcapes:

Edited by slambros
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, slambros said:

I can name a slew of PG-13 animated movies that kids flocked to: Avatar, The Avengers, Jurassic World, Guardians of the Galaxy, Transformers, Star Wars (episodes 3, 7, and 8, plus Rogue One), the three Hobbit films...

Kids flocked to the Hobbit movies...?

5 minutes ago, slambros said:

I can name a slew of PG-13 animated movies that kids flocked to: Avatar, The Avengers, Jurassic World, Guardians of the Galaxy, Transformers, Star Wars (episodes 3, 7, and 8, plus Rogue One), the three Hobbit films...

All of the MCU films fit that category too, not just Guardians. They're for general audiences, but kids love them as well.

I'm perfectly fine with the PG-13 rating though. Animated movies aren't just for kids after all. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

11 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Kids flocked to the Hobbit movies...?

7 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

All of the MCU films fit that category too, not just Guardians. They're for general audiences, but kids love them as well.

I'm perfectly fine with the PG-13 rating though. Animated movies aren't just for kids after all. 

I think the rating bodes well for the film, quality wise.

I just think that if adults and kids enjoyed those PG-13 films, then I'm not sure if this PG-13 ratings (meaning kids can still see it) would make too much of a difference, unless there is an animation bias.

Edited by slambros

It's a Wes Anderson movie which already limits its audience. I think if people know who he is they'll show up for this, but I don't think it's going to grab the casual elderly couples/friends like Grand Budapest did. If they think it looks beneath them no MPAA rating is going to convince them otherwise. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, slambros said:

I think the rating bodes well for the film, quality wise.

I just think that if adults and kids enjoyed those PG-13 films, then I'm not sure if this PG-13 ratings (meaning kids can still see it) would make too much of a difference.

The rating won't make a difference. There's a sorta stigma against adult appealing animated films, but that seems to be changing slightly. Besides the rating really shouldn't make a difference if the film is really good. Plus it's a Wes Anderson film, so it's not like it's gonna make blockbuster numbers anyway. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Eh, would've been nice if it could tap into a more mainstream audience but I won't sweat it. Don't we all want more PG-13/R animated movies, anyway? Always was going to take someone with clout like Wes Anderson to get one made and distributed by a major studio.

I was just happy at the prospect of a stop motion release maybe doing decent numbers for the first time this decade. The medium has a hard enough time as it is making any money without the added box office disadvantage of a PG-13 rating. 

Just now, That One Guy said:

If this fails, it won’t be because it’s rated PG-13

PG-13 is a stigma for a lot of parents with younger kids, especially with animation. That sends the clear message it's animation intended for an older audience. The dog aspect could have appealed to younger kids. Animation is a stigma for some of the older audience this is hoping for. That basically leaves Anderson devotees as the only people who will see this. That's probably good for a 30-35m take. I think it could have doubled that as a PG though. 

• Like 2

Just now, That One Guy said:

Dont know if you noticed but Jumanji is gonna make $400M+ domestically 

Live action is a different case. Like I said, animation being PG-13 or R sends the clear message it's not intended for kids. Also, I highly doubt younger kids have comprised a huge chunk of Jumanji's audience. I doubt parents are taking the 8 and under set. 

I have seen parents take 3 year olds to Deadpool and Logan. Hell I saw a Mom with three kids around 3-5, and I saw families at IT. I saw TDK when I was 8.

However, for animation, sadly it’s a stigma except a few.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

PG-13 is a stigma for a lot of parents with younger kids, especially with animation. That sends the clear message it's animation intended for an older audience. The dog aspect could have appealed to younger kids. Animation is a stigma for some of the older audience this is hoping for. That basically leaves Anderson devotees as the only people who will see this. That's probably good for a 30-35m take. I think it could have doubled that as a PG though. 

I really can't imagine this ever making anywhere near 60-70m, no matter what the rating. Even if it was PG, the trailer made it look way too dark and unusual to appeal to many kids. 

In the end, I don't think the rating will matter much. Wes Anderson fans will see it, and so will people who like more "arthouse" fare, assuming this gets good reviews. But families were always going to turned off by the tone of this movie, and the general audiences were always going to be turned off by the combination of tone and the fact that it's animated. 

Edited by Blipsy